Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off I payed a reputable truck shop that also specializes in diff set-ups along time ago to put in my auburn and 3;73s. All the ring gear bolts are loose and some are backed out a good ways. Also the pattern looks horrible. the loose ring maybe to blame for that.

Well here is my question.
I have the caps marked and off. Axles and clips off and out. But how do you get the diff to pop out.??
I remembered an old tip of putting a wrench on a ring bolt and turning the yolk but that didnt work. I tryed pry bars. I cant get it.
Tomorrow If I cant get it out Im going to take the pinion nut off and pound it out that way. Im not saving the carrier or gears so this thing can hit the ground for all I care. As long As I can keep the shims in order.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
If it's that tight the guy who put it together must have used a case spreader and got it really tight. This may sound silly but you have the axels out of it right? Both caps removed? Have you tried to pry it out with crow bars or heavy pry bars? If the ring gear is junk pry on the teeth at top and bottom at the same time.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes The axles are out.:D caps are off.:D I will be back at it again today. it was way late last night when I gave up.

·
Premium Member
991 Posts
It will pry out. It may be difficult. When you finally see it move a little bit, you'll understand. The carrier fits in there quite snug when set up correctly. On an aged, many mile rear, the carrier will fall out into your hands. Sort of reminds me of life.

·
Registered
351 Posts
You can run a piece of chain around it and a bolt through the chain. Insert long pry bar through chain and pry against gasket surface of case. You can get much more leverage this way.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I whacked the pinion a few times and it budged then pryed it out the rest of the way.
He only had 2 thick shims in there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts