Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready to re-install my Diff Cover. When I took it off it had about 1/2 a tube of red RTV holding it on. The CPP disc kit has a gasket for the cover. Do I RTV or use the gasket. . . or RTV the gasket?!?

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I would say do one or the other. I just replaced my original cover which I gasketed about 4 months back when adding posi. There were no leaks at all and I just used the gasket only. I replaced it the same way today when I added the new rear support cover that came with a new gasket also.
A lot of places just use silicone only and I have done that before too.

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Use rtv. Some people will tell you the gasket will fail and leak even with rtv so the last time mine was put together it was done with rtv and no gasket. Not a drop has leaked :D

·
Premium Member
20,542 Posts
use both put the rtv sparingly on both sides wait a minute or so torque to 20 ft. lbs.
yes ...use both.....rtv on the cover then put the gasket on the cover then rtv again....never leaks this way.....torque it down correctly....clean up excess....let it dry....add oil...never leaks

·
Super Moderator
12,017 Posts
RTV or gasket only, never both. It may not leak every time using both, but will never leak if using RTV only and allowing time to cure before adding fluid.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts