Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Does anyone know of the size & shape difference b/t a 3rd gen Nova & a 1st gen Camaro/Firebird? I thought I read they are very similar except for the filler neck. I am looking to replace my stock tank with a fuel injected fuel tank. I have not seen too many for 3rd gen Novas.
I know there are several options, but I found a EFI tank for 67-68 Camaro for half the & of a Rick's tank.
I am currently running an external pump with my stock tank.
I have also looked into retrofuel, Rock Valley, & Classis car industries.
I have also seen Chevelle tanks for under 500, but I think they are not the right size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271016513702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
71-72 Nova tank dimensions: 38 x 19-3/8 x 7-3/8
1968-69 Chevelle, Malibu and 1970 Buick Skylark Fuel Tank: 39-1/4" x 24-1/2" x 7-3/4"
Camaro Gas Tank, 1967-1968: 38 3/8" x 20 7/8" x 7 3/4"

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I wish I could help you out man, but we just aren't ready to take on the third gens yet. The 68-72 A body's are being developed right now. We do have a flat tray kit that can be bent/cut/formed into whatever shape you need to fit a tank, but it requires someone to do the fab work.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could help you out man, but we just aren't ready to take on the third gens yet. The 68-72 A body's are being developed right now. We do have a flat tray kit that can be bent/cut/formed into whatever shape you need to fit a tank, but it requires someone to do the fab work.
Thanks, I may have to do that. I am going to give it a few more months & see how things go. I really like the look of kits you have made.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
I was just looking at some pics of those tanks again. The site info said they are about 7 3/8" tall. Should JUST be tall enough to recess a tray and compress the pump down enough so there's room above it without worrying about the trunk. It seems like a relatively easy one to do because there are only two stamping ridges to go across on the back side.

But what I cannot tell from the pics I saw, is if the tank is leveled off on the bottom edge toward the front? The 1st/2nd gen tanks are not leveled off, and that was the hardest thing to work around with them. The 68-72 A-body tanks have four ridges on the backside of the tank.

So if the 3rd gen tanks have a horizontal portion on the front side of the bottom, they shouldn't be too hard to design.

The biggest budget killer is the prototype run. Spreading the setup charge over one or two parts is hard to swallow, but cheaper than running a bunch on a prototype run only to find out they don't fit right. That is why it's tough to move forward with different models this early in the game.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Does anyone know of the size & shape difference b/t a 3rd gen Nova & a 1st gen Camaro/Firebird? I thought I read they are very similar except for the filler neck. I am looking to replace my stock tank with a fuel injected fuel tank. I have not seen too many for 3rd gen Novas.
I know there are several options, but I found a EFI tank for 67-68 Camaro for half the & of a Rick's tank.
I am currently running an external pump with my stock tank.
I have also looked into retrofuel, Rock Valley, & Classis car industries.
I have also seen Chevelle tanks for under 500, but I think they are not the right size.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271016513702?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

Thanks
It's been a while since I researched this, but I believe I remember the 1st gen Camaro / 3rd Gen tanks for 73/74 years to be identical. I can't speak for pre-73, as I believe the tanks were different for those years from 73/74.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 1st gen camaro and Nova external dimensions are very similar. If you go on Spectre's website you can compare the external dimensions and see they are very close. I was considering the tanks inc. 1st gen camaro tank for my 70' since the price was so reasonable.
Please let us know if you do this. I am thinking of doing that too, but not for a couple months.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Fuel Tank

Use your stock tank and add a return fuel line to it. I soldered a return line in a free space in the sending unit. Then add an inline high pressure fuel pump for fuel injected motors. That's what a lot of them are doing and I did that with my 62 with a Tune Port Injected motor. The only reason most are mounted in the tank is for cooling the pump and a pain to change if they go out. In several other non- Nova projects, we used a tank out of a S-10 Chevy/GMC two wheel drive Blazer. About the same size as most Nova's and mounts with straps as well. If your lucky it will still have the fuel pump in it and the filler tube comes out the drivers side.
But if you want to spend the bucks, buy a new one from Tanks INC. Check out the injected tanks and they offer a universal one. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=131/home_id=-1/mode=cat/cat131.htm

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Use your stock tank and add a return fuel line to it. I soldered a return line in a free space in the sending unit. Then add an inline high pressure fuel pump for fuel injected motors. That's what a lot of them are doing and I did that with my 62 with a Tune Port Injected motor. The only reason most are mounted in the tank is for cooling the pump and a pain to change if they go out. In several other non- Nova projects, we used a tank out of a S-10 Chevy/GMC two wheel drive Blazer. About the same size as most Nova's and mounts with straps as well. If your lucky it will still have the fuel pump in it and the filler tube comes out the drivers side.
But if you want to spend the bucks, buy a new one from Tanks INC. Check out the injected tanks and they offer a universal one. http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=results/Category_ID=131/home_id=-1/mode=cat/cat131.htm
I am currently using my stock tank & external inline pump. I want one with baffles & made for EFI for the peace of mind.
I will check into the s10 tank, but I need the filler tube to come out the center rear.

·
3,863 Posts
The tube filler is the different and I'm was informed by National Parts Depot that they don't interchange.. The 67-69 Camaro tanks are completely different than the 73/74 Nova tank.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The tube filler is the different and I'm was informed by National Parts Depot that they don't interchange.. The 67-69 Camaro tanks are completely different than the 73/74 Nova tank.
Crosstraining has a 72 and I have a 70 which are very similar. 73-74 appears to be siginificantly deeper than the 68-72. Here is a quick reference I made (these are Spectre part#s/ tanks)

Application Dimensions Part# Capacity
68 Camaro 39-3/8"x20-7/8"x7-3/4" GM 32B 18 gal
69 Camaro 39-3/8"x20-7/8"x7-3/4" GM 32B 18 gal
70 Nova 38" x 19-3/8" x 7-3/8" GM 46D 18 gal
72 Nova 38" x 19-3/8" x 7-3/8" GM 46C 18 gal
73 Nova 39-5/8"x21-1/4"x10-1/4" GM 2 21 gal

The camaro tanks are very similar in dimensions and have a rear exiting filler. They are minor changes in the 68-72 nova tanks, but it appears they are the same basic stamping, the same goes for the 67-69 camaros. My thought was to take either a Tanks inc or spectre fuel injection tank for a camaro, cut off the neck, and weld on my old filler neck. would probably need to modify the tank straps as well. I am just not to that point in my project yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts