Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I'm doing saginaw swap in my '72 and realized I had the wrong belllhousing for my flywheel size (153 tooth). Upon bolting up the starter to my bellhousing I found that the starter would spool up and whir but would not engage. I figured it just needed more tightening but upon closer inspection the gap between the starter and the flywheel was pretty significant. I asked around and apparently I have a truck bellhousing and thus would require a 168 flywheel to make work. Searched around and found a bellhousing for a car with the casting numbers ending with "403". I plan on using this bell housing as it should allow my starter to properly engage with the starter hole being closer to the flywheel. Now for my question... Can I reuse the ball stud and clutch fork that came stock with the truck bellhousing or will they not work? Im not in town to look at the bellhousing but I figured I could probably use the old ball stud if it threads into the new bellhousing and just reuse my old clutch fork. Would this work or are the thread pitches different? I'm just trying not to break the bank right now.

·
Registered
1973 Custom hatchback
1,091 Posts
Hi guys, I'm doing saginaw swap in my '72 and realized I had the wrong belllhousing for my flywheel size (153 tooth). Upon bolting up the starter to my bellhousing I found that the starter would spool up and whir but would not engage. I figured it just needed more tightening but upon closer inspection the gap between the starter and the flywheel was pretty significant. I asked around and apparently I have a truck bellhousing and thus would require a 168 flywheel to make work. Searched around and found a bellhousing for a car with the casting numbers ending with "403". I plan on using this bell housing as it should allow my starter to properly engage with the starter hole being closer to the flywheel. Now for my question... Can I reuse the ball stud and clutch fork that came stock with the truck bellhousing or will they not work? Im not in town to look at the bellhousing but I figured I could probably use the old ball stud if it threads into the new bellhousing and just reuse my old clutch fork. Would this work or are the thread pitches different? I'm just trying not to break the bank right now.
what is the PN of your bellhousing? Are you sure its from a truck? One truck B/H pn is 460486. Measure the transmission hole, if it's 5 1/8 you do have a truck bell housing, if its 4 11/16 you have a car bell housing. a truckbell housing requires adding a bushing to the tranny boss where it goes in the hole, or you'll never shift well.
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644353
153 teeth = 12.5" diameter and the starter bolt should go in " straight across.

168 teeth - 14" diameter and diagonal mounting bolts.

I believe an automatic starter is different from a manual starter and if you are reusing your starter this may be part of the problem.

Your challenge is to match the flywheel, B/H and starter, I'm sure someone with more knowledge than I will chime in here directly,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts