Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of new 67 headlight bezels. Was told they are NOS, but how do you tell the difference OEM bezels and reproduction bezels?

Thanks in advance for any info.

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
There have been different runs of the bezels, so this is not an absolute.
  • The repops will not have all the GM stampings on the inside.
  • The original GM paint tended to be pretty sloppy. Repops have more even paint.
  • The screw holes are truer or "cleaner" on original GM. The repops can have casting flash in that area or a "cheap" look.
  • The repops are shinier. Original GM chrome was somewhat dull.
  • The bezels actually fit (had to throw that in there ;) )

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, do the
There have been different runs of the bezels, so this is not an absolute.
  • The repops will not have all the GM stampings on the inside.
  • The original GM paint tended to be pretty sloppy. Repops have more even paint.
  • The screw holes are truer or "cleaner" on original GM. The repops can have casting flash in that area or a "cheap" look.
  • The repops are shinier. Original GM chrome was somewhat dull.
  • The bezels actually fit (had to throw that in there ;) )
Thanks. Do the repro's have a casting number on them?

·
Vendor
1,780 Posts
I can't answer that for 100% sure, as I do not have any current repops. But, I would lean towards no. I think Dynacorn is currently the only manufacturer of them.

Now here is where this gets murky. The bezel was still available from GM into the late 90s (maybe longer). We believe the original repop on the market years ago was actually re-boxed GM. It has happened before. We have a set that was purchased years ago, still in the Classic Industries packaging, and they are identical to GM ones. All marking and part numbers --- so one could have a "repop" that may actually be OEM GM.

So this one is kind of not straightforward.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts