Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I will be replacing my Dual Master Cylinder just because, I Have no clue how old it is and based off the cost of $60 hands down it is an investment in my eyes.

The current Master Cylinder I have is Part # Master Cylinder GM # 5468309 google says Camaro and Chevelle

What I'm wondering is, do I get the same one that is mounted on my 63 nova currently or get a 67 as recommended by many as that is the first year Factory they had Disc Front and Drum rear ?

Disc up Front
Drum in the Rear

Everything about my breaks is 99% new, that 1% would be the master cylinder and that is why I'd like to just replace it..

Thank you :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Depends on what brakes you're running. Factory type or aftermarket? 67 was the first year for disk/ drum systems but also for dual resevoir master cylinders for drum systems as well which is a different master cylinder. If I remeber right 67 year disk brakes were dual piston calipers. In 68 they went to single piston calipers and were the same up to around 72. Differences would be in the piston bore of the cylinder itself. You have to match the cylinder bores of the calipers and drums to the cylinder bore of the master cylinder in the correct ratio to get the brakes working correctly. Also don't forget you need the correct combination valve for a disk/ dum setup as well.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
I will be replacing my Master Cylinder just because, I Have no clue how old it is and based off the cost of $60 hands down it is an investment in my eyes.

Part # Master Cylinder GM # 5468309 google says Camaro and Chevelle

What I'm wondering is, do I get the same one that is mounted on my 63 nova currently or get a 67 as recommended by many as that is the first year Factory they had Disc Front and Drum rear ?

Disc up Front
Drum in the Rear

Everything about my breaks is 99% new, that 1% would be the master cylinder and that is why I'd like to just replace it..

Thank you :D
i'll assume you have the stock single pot master on the car now? if so, shown below is the information for a '69 Camaro Manual front discs/rear drum application for power brakes this unit is incorrect. the price is $50.99 from RockAuto (where info is copied from)

RAYBESTOS Part # MC36317 Professional Grade; Bore Size=1 1/8" Number of Ports=2 Primary Outlet Size=1/2x20 Secondary Outlet Size=9/16x18
Front Disc brakes; Manual brakes; Rear Drum brakes

you'll also need a proportioning valve & bracket and the lines. you'll need to block off the port leading to the rear that's on the right side inner fender line tee. either a 3/16 or a 1/4" inverted flare seat plug. available at most any reputable auto part store. a line ran from the valve to the rear line can be connected with an inverted flare coupler and the rear line is complete.

don't use a drum brake master cylinder on a disc brake application, the internal valving is different between the two.

do a search at your favorite auto part store's website and check a '70 Camaro, Chevelle, Nova... any Chevy you want for a Manual disc/drum brake application and you'll get the right one. they're all pretty much the same from '69-'72 (or so) if you go with rear discs a disc disc master off of a Vette will be used... if you decide to go power brakes we can help there too...

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info so far....

I should have clarified and actually re-edited it :D

I currently have a Dual master cylinder, the casting is 5468309 and I want to replace it for peace of mind.

My Font brakes are new Baer 11" disc up front and all new drum stock in the rear, everything is Brand new including the lines.

But the Dual Master Cylinder is unknown for its age, I DID just remove a proportioning valve that was on it when I bought it, I thought it was Junk so I just simply hooked front to front and rear to rear and it stops so MUCH BETTER :D But I or previous owner could have ruined it with this proportioning valve acting up...

So seeing as I want to replace it, I can just get another one of the same model or get a 67, more or less I was looking for advantages that are Unknown to me.

I'm weird with Brakes, when I do brakes its all or nothing :)

Being all Manual and so used to power I want the Best brakes possible :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts