Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is just a shell, missing the firewall, floor and steering column. Is there a way to tell if it originally had an automatic or manual transmission? It does have the original front sub-frame and I also have the vin. I'm not sure if the vin tells what the trans was...

·
Premium Member
1,084 Posts
Knowing the year would help. With all that missing the only remaining clue would be if the Z-Bar bracket is still attached or if it looks like a bracket had been attached to the sub frame for a manual shift. On the 1st and 2nd gen it would of attached to the top of the sub frame with 2 screws in front of the fire wall on the driver side. On the gen 3 the bracket bolted to the outer side of the sub frame on the drivers side and was held on by 3 bolts right in front of the body mount. If there are no signs of something being attached I would assume Auto.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oops, forgot to say, it's a 1970 Nova. It didn't come with an engine or cowl tag but I'm assuming a V8 of unknown cubic inches. I was told it came from the factory with a 350 but can't be sure.

JMark, can you point me to a picture of the Z-bracket mount location? I'll take a look at the car next time I'm at the garage. Thanks.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
tom - - -

#1 - - You can see part of the frame bracket here . . bolted to the outside of the frame (3rd gen 69 Nova). It will have three holes in the side of the frame (or look for the bracket).
Those "three frame holes are in all sub - frames" - - - where that 'black bracket is mounted. Look at those holes - - if never used (meaning you had an automatic) those holes should not have any threads . Look at the three holes - - - if you can tell /or see those holes have 'threads in them" that should mean - - there is or was a Z-bar bracket there at one time .
Did I make sense saying that ?

jim

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
and, tom . . . the best thing - - BUY you a "Factory Assembly Manual" for your year Nova . . . . best money u'll spend . about $ 20.00
From several vendors ; Classic Ind - Classic Chevrolet Nova Parts = =

jim

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks very much for the information guys. I'll check it out when I get down to the garage.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Guys, I finally went to look at the car and there are six round holes and one oval hole on the frame in the vicinity of the z
-bar bracket mount. Four of the holes are threaded. But the pattern of the holes doesn't seem to match the pattern of the holes in the pictures above (see picture below). Are there different types of z-bar brackets?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
well it's still kinda hard too say for sure . = being that these cars are 50 years old - any thing may have happened . BUT - - look again at those 'sub-frame z-bar holes' . . ..
looks to me that something WAS bolted there at one time. those holes are " pulled - out " - meaning, that there was some bolts in there at one time. On my picture (above) of
my frame bracket - - my car was an auto ( P/G trans from the factory) , when I installed that 'Z-bar bracket' . . . those holes were there = but were very smooth & showing no distortion / or threads . . . . All 4 holes, until I installed that black bracket .
So, does u'r car have a dash / speedo unit inside ? Does that speedo unit show the gears - - " P R n D L " . . . . ? ? Or does u'r car have any kind of " Brake Pedal " , still there ?
Nothing in the trunk ?
Tom, look back at post # 6 - - - look at the frame 'Hole' (not used) beside / in front of the z-bar bracket - - u-can see that hole was / has never been used .

Your car Should have the dash " vin number " - - which : starts with - 114 = a V 8 motor . . . . 113 = a 6 motor , & may still mean any tranny may be used ?
any pictures of u'r car and / or your dash vin ? Keep us posted . . . . jim

1 - 12 of 12 Posts