Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After lots of forum advice, I got the engine and trans mounted in the 63. The engine was hoisted from the cradle,

then the transmission sat on the lower part of a workbench while I put them together. I was very careful to get the torque converter mounted correctly in the trans before I put them together.

Then, with the load leveler, and no core support in the way, the engine and trans assembly went in pretty easily.

New poly engine mounts and ARP bolts for peace of mind. The BTO 200-4r trans mount needed some encouragement to bolt up, but in the end, I installed my first engine. It's a good feeling.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Good idea with the tape,I also use foam packing material to prevent scratching.

·
Premium Member
2,367 Posts
Congrats on getting 'er in :thumbsup: I just pulled and replaced the motor in my 67 for the first time. I left the trans and core support in, but needed help to get the motor in. You proved that if you think through the process and plan for it, you can do a lot on your own. Keep us posted on the progress. :yes:

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Nice job. All that new paint would have scared the crap out of me.:eek:

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good idea with the tape,I also use foam packing material to prevent scratching.
And of course, the more precautions you take, the less you will need them, or that's what it seems like. I touched nothing on the way in, except the back of the trans tunnel! I'm loving that load leveler.

Congrats on getting 'er in :thumbsup: I just pulled and replaced the motor in my 67 for the first time. I left the trans and core support in, but needed help to get the motor in. You proved that if you think through the process and plan for it, you can do a lot on your own. Keep us posted on the progress. :yes:
Since I had the car completely apart, this was the way to go, for sure. The hardest thing was to figure out how to get the engine and trans together, but I lucked out in that my ghetto work benches have a base that is just the right height.

BTW, if you're interested in progress updates, start readin' :D
http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showpost.php?p=895113&postcount=11

Nice job. All that new paint would have scared the crap out of me.:eek:
Me too! Did I use enough tape??

congrats. looks good.
Thanks man!

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice work! Everything is detailed, all the paint work looks great.
Ron
Thanks!!
All that orangey red is rattle-can city. Duplicolor 500 deg engine paint, with clear on top. It looks okay, but show quality it ain't. Easy touchups though. :D

Congrats, it looks great Greg.:thumbsup:

When I did mine I put the engine/trans in together also, except I still had the core surrpot in:eek::eek:

Your way looks much eaiser:yes::yes:
Only way to do it when flying solo!

Also. firewall clearance is too tight to bolt the engine to trans in place, so it's gotta be together, like you say.

dont forget those headers my man... goes in much easier with the engine up just a tad
Ah ha! The Doug's d367y dropped right in!! With the exception that I will have to nibble on one of the strange extra mounting horns that stick out from the BOP bellhousing area on the 2004r. Also, I have not hooked the steering link back up yet, but clearance looks very good.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Greg,

How much HP are you expecting with that motor? I'm just curious because I see in another thread you're running an 8.2 rear, and I'd really like to run a 10 bolt also to save weight. I'd like to build a LS2 and get somewhere around 425 at the tire. I was originally hooked on a Dana, but I have some other plans for the car :devil::devil::devil: and weight savings will really matter now.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
5,820 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Greg,

How much HP are you expecting with that motor? I'm just curious because I see in another thread you're running an 8.2 rear, and I'd really like to run a 10 bolt also to save weight. I'd like to build a LS2 and get somewhere around 425 at the tire. I was originally hooked on a Dana, but I have some other plans for the car :devil::devil::devil: and weight savings will really matter now.

Thanks!!!
Desktop dyno guesses 330 hp 376 tq at the flywheel, so I am fine with my 8.2. With 425 at the tire, go for that Dana.

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
Desktop dyno guesses 330 hp 376 tq at the flywheel, so I am fine with my 8.2. With 425 at the tire, go for that Dana.
Yeah, I know the Dana is going to be bulletproof, and the other reason I like it is just to be different. I have heard a lot of people running and 8.5 with a ton of power. I might try to do that. This is going to be a street cruiser, Heidts front clip, TCI 4 link, 17" wheels. Kinda the Pro Touring look without the actual pro-touring type driving. Street only, 1/4 mile strip once and a great while, family cruising a lot. That is part of the reason I'm worried about the unsprung weight.

12 bolt is a no-brainer. It would hold up fine. But its just that its so common. I was kinda looking to be a little different. With the 8.5, I get weight savings but have to worry about it holding up. With the Dana, it would hold up, but she'll be a bit heavier.

Heck, if I keep typing, I'll have to start another thread!!! Actually, I think I will anyways!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts