Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm hoping you can help me out with this. Bought a short block from an LT1 "350" last week, mostly for the block itself. My plan is to bore and stroke it into a 383 for my '71 Nova project. When I got it home and measured the bores (which still have most of the cross-hatch showing) they were 4.029-4.030 already. Cool! :beer: Then I got to looking at the pistons and they don't look stock. I'm wondering it I got a 383 short block just by dumb luck??

Here's what they look like.......

Block: 2 bolt. serial number 14093638 (My guide says 88-92 small block, nothing else)

Crank: I don't really have a way to measure the extra 1/8 inch throw without dropping it back in the block, and I don't have the bearings yet (it came in boxes, already apart). I will try posting pics to see if anyone recognizes it. On the counterweight nearest the nose is stamped "350" and either "AY" or "^Y" (supposed to be delta Y). On the counterweight nearest the seal is cast in "8535" or maybe "3585" ... hard to tell.

Pistons: Do not look like stock 350 flat-tops, at least not from a '71 engine. Have a slight dish with valve reliefs as well. "Hecho en Mexico" and "2774228" stamped inside. Also have a notch in the raised land around the dish.

I would REALLY appreciate any help you can give in IDing these things. :confused:

Dave

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,245 Posts
Those look like the cast pistons I've got in the motor in my car. Mine are stock.

Crank:
14088535...305,350...cast....medium journal...3.48" stroke....1-piece rear main

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
What you have is a cast 350 crank and .030 over pistons. It's a 355. Still a good engine for zoomin. Dave

1 - 3 of 3 Posts