Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in the mid to late 60s when there were still some flagmen on the tracks, I heard of a system called P&G which could tell your CU IN with a simple test instead of a tear down. I was 16 or 17 yrs old and racing with my brother at a strip in Pacific MO and Alton ILL alot. As you older guys know back then there was a lot of stock and hot rod classes and no ET brackets. The stewarts had a hard time keeping things fair cause alot of engine blks looked the same but were way different in HP. Even in what they called Showroom stock. If some one protested you, they had to put up $50.00 and if you wanted to keep your trophy or monies you had won, you had to pull the intake and head to show your CU IN . If you were legal you got to keep the 50 bucks, if not you were disqualified. One track was AHRA and the other was NHRA but I think the rules on protests were the same. The P&G method was supposed to be able to pump one of your cylinders full of fluid and then withdraw it and from that volume figure what your cubes were. I heard some big name guys from back then talk about it but never saw it done. In the days of the match races **** Herrell, Gene Snow and Arnie Beswick talked about it and I listened in once. I wasn't on a first name basis with these guys but I saw them alot in the mid west and they were great about talking to the small time racers like me. Anyway give me a hollar if you have heard of any of this . Thanks Lance

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
They still used the device in the 90s in NASCAR. It didn't use fluid it just measured air volumn. The old trick back in the 60s was to have one cylinder smaller than the others and only let them check that one. LOTS OF STORIES ABOUT HOW GUYS CHEATED THE SYSTEM BACK THEN. WHEN WE RAN THE DASH CARS IN NASCAR THEY CAME BY AND TOLD YOU WHICH CYLINDER THEY WOULD CHECK AND YOU PULLED THAT PLUG and the rockers off that cylinder. Tech guys weren't the brightest bulbs on the tree many times. That is actually why NASCAR hired Gary Nelson to head up their Tech Dept. He was one of the best cheaters in NASCAR.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Here you go...

CUBE CHECKER

You remove both rockers and the plug on one cyl & connect a hose, like a comp tester. When the engine is cranked a floating piston moves in a glass tube, moving floating rings in the tube. The tech guy measures the distance between the rings and uses a chart to determine your displacement. In 1958 I got protested & checked. I was legal.

·
Premium Member
5,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I knew a fella back in about 64 who was running a altered wheel base 426 hemi who came up from KY pretty offen. He said he had run a 409 in 62 about like Nicholson's who had won a championship with his. He said he got protested so much so offen that he started taking the car to the tracks with the heads and intake off. He would have the car checked before race time. and assemble it after. If someone put up the money to protest he simply took the money and went his merry way cause they already knew he was legal. I believe his name was David Heath and he called the car "The Kentucky Colonel" . That was before that other one.;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts