Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 65 SS, it was my grandmothers vehilce and everything was original upon purchase from her. ( I do not see her rebadging 283 emblems on the Nova) I read somewhere that the SS's had V8 (283s) or 6 cylinders in them, but I cannot find the literature or the site that gave the breakdown of what years were made with what.

This evening at a bar this guy was debating me on what engines came in the early model Novas, he was so certain that my V8 is not stock that there is money riding on it. He claims that it is not original and he is dead set on that. He also said that no vehicles from 65 and earlier came from the factory with stock V8s. I totally do not believe this. Is there any place to reference to get this guys head on straight? He also claimed he has ordered "Original Reference guide(?)" or something to that nature that states the facts.

·
Premium Member
6,277 Posts
Jonny878 said:
I have a 65 SS, it was my grandmothers vehilce and everything was original upon purchase from her. ( I do not see her rebadging 283 emblems on the Nova) I read somewhere that the SS's had V8 (283s) or 6 cylinders in them, but I cannot find the literature or the site that gave the breakdown of what years were made with what.

This evening at a bar this guy was debating me on what engines came in the early model Novas, he was so certain that my V8 is not stock that there is money riding on it. He claims that it is not original and he is dead set on that. He also said that no vehicles from 65 and earlier came from the factory with stock V8s. I totally do not believe this. Is there any place to reference to get this guys head on straight? He also claimed he has ordered "Original Reference guide(?)" or something to that nature that states the facts.
Take his money and smile real big. Tell him you know where the real info is:D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Mike thanks for the link. The format for the link was exactly what I remember looking at. Jr, the expression on his face will be priceless!

Jon

·
Premium Member
3,750 Posts
Hi Jonny

When I'm looking at a smallblock that someone claims originally came in a pre-68 Nova, there are two quick checks that help to identify a Nova block without having to clean off grime to check serial or casting numbers. These aren't really a guarantee that the engine is a real Nova unit, but they're a good first step:

1. Nova V8 blocks had a steel plug in the dipstick hole on the right side of the block. This is because the Nova V8s had front-sump oil pans and Chevy had to relocate the dipstick.

2. Nova V8 blocks had spin-on oil filters. These filters first appeared (correct me if I'm wrong on the years here guys....) on the new four and six cylinder engines in '62 & '63 and were adapted to the Nova blocks because the clutch linkage on the manual shift Novas wouldn't clear the big bolt-on-can filters of the regular smallblocks. As far as I know, Nova 283s and 327s are the only ones (of those engine sizes) that use spin-on oil filters. (Note: there are kits that adapt spin-on oil filters to early smallbocks, but they're really easy to spot.)

Hope you enjoy the extra cash in your pocket!!:D

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
With the engine in the car, the "easiest" way is just look where the Oil filter is. 1st and 2nd Gen ChevyII/Nova's had a recessed oil filter. (kind of like what Dave was saying, but no one takes off the filter to check the adapter and yes, it has probably had an adapter anyway put on it).

I believe all the 283's were "194" blocks (Casting stamp).

Now if this is a bare block (with the pan missing)...
(the first check would be the recessed oil area)

(and for grins...)
- Check the Oil Pump setup. It will be a front sump setup (as mentioned) with a long pick to the front half of the block. Also, will have a hole tapped into one of the mains as a support bolts into it from the pickup.

- (If the heads are still bolted on) I believe all the 283 also came with small chambered PowerPack heads (casting: 3884520). (I someone here disagrees, but I do believe all ChevyII 283's came with them)

- I think all 283's and maybe 327's had a Oil Seperator can that is located under the intake on the back wall of the block. It bolts into the lifter valley and allows pressure to escape to a "Road Draft Tube" or maybe on 327's back into the carb ?!?!

- and of course, cross reference the block number and if it isn't a 283 or 327, it truly it's. :)

HTH
-Brent Thomas
Ohio

1 - 7 of 7 Posts