Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all.

So I am trying to get a set of Detroit Speed minitubs installed on my 72 Nova. The shop that I am currently looking at is saying $5k to install!! Mind you I already purchased the tubs, that's just labor.

I called another shop and they are unwilling to give me an estimate because of some unknown factors that might pop up in the process. Which I totally understand.

Can any of you guys that have had them installed please help me out and at least give me a ball park figure of what to expect?? I need to get some paint too and can't afford to spend 5k on just the install of these tubs.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I did my own and it took around 30 hours. I have never done a set before and it was quite easy.

5K seems a bit steep to me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did my own and it took around 30 hours. I have never done a set before and it was quite easy.

5K seems a bit steep to me.
Yeah even at $100 an hour for labor that still puts it at 3k! 30 hours is pretty much what I figured for this kind of job. Thanks for the input!

·
Premium Member
1,475 Posts
I imagine someone who does this for a crust could knock 10+ hours off the job ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, 5K seems like a lot to me, I was looking at getting a set installed in the 71 but now :confused:
This might make you feel better. I called that guy Dale - super nice guy and helpful btw. The first thing you have to understand is most places wont give you an "estimate". Especially with our older cars. You just never know what could happen or what to expect when you start tearing one apart.

But I asked him, assuming that nothing extra would be needed, what would be the approximate amount of hours required to complete that kind of job? He basically told me to expect about 12-15 hours per side. So even with that at 30 hours total that puts it around $2250 at $75 an hour. Now that seems a bit more fair. Not to mention he told me that how he works is that if there is something that comes up in the process, they will stop where they are and then leave it up to the owner how to proceed. Overall I just got a much better feeling talking with him and they way he does business.

Definitely not going to that other shop! They just assumed I was a blank check.

Not sure where you are located but Dale is in So Cal and when I get back to the states I will be taking my car to him to have him do the tubs. I will post pictures when he is done.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Flyboyd, thanks for the update. I'm on the other coast (SC) So Cal is a bit out of reach and yes please post some pics when your done. I would love to see the before and after pictures.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Flyboyd, thanks for the update. I'm on the other coast (SC) So Cal is a bit out of reach and yes please post some pics when your done. I would love to see the before and after pictures.
I will! Absolutely!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts