Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think my motor is ok with the 91 octane fuel, but is there an available sensor that accurately detects even inaudible detonation? I envision something that would show different degrees of detonation from the most subtle hint to full blown hammertime, cost under $200, and be very portable, am I dreaming, or does anyone know of such a device ?

·
Registered
362 Posts
There are factory equipment in many new cars, my old Z28 had one. The trick with those was to wrap them in teflon tape, to allow you to run a little less sensativity.

Unfortunaley, detonation happens and a lot of people never even notice. It hammers your bearings something terrible. I would suggest really inspecting your plugs when its most likely to occur. A hot day, through it in high gear and run it up. Then shut the car off, and pull a plug right there and then. If you see speckiles of aluminum, its detonating. You only hear really bad detonation (pinging) on quiet cars (full exhuast) when its really bad. Use your eyes not ears, you have a better shot of detecting it.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts