Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i really like the look of this street demon carb. it looks so simple and clean.
for the new engine im putting together i already have two brand new carbs to choose from. an edelbrock performer 600cfm and a holley (truck avenger) 670cfm.

i think the holley will be just slightly too much for this engine

i hear demons are super "bolt on and go", with easy tuning and good performance.

anyone running them?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
all of the functions of that carb will be the same as the Holley or Eddy equivalent... the body may be fancy but it's still a carb...

tuning procedures won't change... if tuning issues exist with a Holley or Eddy the same issues will be present with the Demon...

neither the Eddy or Holley are too much for a SBC V8.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
What engine are you putting the carb on? What specs?

I've had great luck with the Edelbrock 600 on relatively stock motors. It ran awesome on my stock 307 right out of the box. Probably could have tuned it but never did, ran great as is.

I've heard good things about the Holley Street Avenger carbs too, lots of guys like those as well. The Edelbrock will definitely be leaner than the Holley if they're both brand new and no one changed anything on them yet.

If it were a relatively stock motor I'd stick with the Edelbrock, if it were a little bigger engine and built up a little the Holley might run better.

I dont know anyone who has run that Street Demon carb yet. It looks cool, just dont know much about it so I guess I cant comment on it much. I know the older Demons guys used to have issues with lots of junk and debris being in the carbs right from the factory. Maybe that's changed nowadays though.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
and in that article it states that some tuning issues might still be needed out of the box to tailor it to your engine... JUST like a Holley might... or Eddy for that matter...

"... This carb also experiences a lean stumble out of the box, though it recovers much more quickly than the other carburetors, and we might be able to remedy the issue with accelerator-pump-squirter or power-valve-spring mods..."

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i understand that a carb, regardless of maker, might need tuning from time to time. i guess what i was asking was EASE of tuning.

the holleys i've seen are easier and less finicky than the edelbrocks i've seen. and all are easier to tune than a qjet in my experience.

sometimes a carb only needs a light touch and its happy, i was wondering if demons are like that(since ive read on a couple archived forums that they were).

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
"Speaking of part-throttle tuning, this carb should be a little easier in that regard, as it allows changing the primary metering rods and enrichment springs (which operate much like a power valve) without having to disassemble the carb. This makes the Street Demon one of the easier carburetors to tune for better street manners. Perhaps best of all, the basic 625 Street Demon is priced less than $350. So there are several reasons to like this new Street Demon."

that sounds pretty good to me. i think, the look of it and that right there sold me. everyone runs edelbrocks… i've never seen this carb on anyones ride around here. might just have to order me one and sell the holley.

·
Registered
199 Posts
demon carb

I've been running demon for 6 yrs constant work,edleb best carb right out of the box for mild motor.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
The Edelbrock carbs I've used have always been pretty easy to dial in. Everything you need to know is in the manual. I haven't worked with Holleys much though so cant really compare it to anything.

When people say bolt on and go I think it sort of means, you bolt it on and it goes, but it may not "go" as good as it could with a little tuning. I think they try to get it as close as they can for most setups, but you still have to do a little something. In my case my carb was pretty close, but I still needed to make a few adjustments to get it to run really good. After doing just a few things it runs really great now, though it ran decent out of the box as well.

Edelbrocks are setup the same way with the metering rods and step up springs, you can remove two little covers and change out the rods and springs in about 2-3 minutes.

It sounds like its a good carb to me, and sounds like you're pretty sold on it, might as well just give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Clean looking carb,but the old Demons were lookers too.I'm anxious to hear any feedback especially about the composite float bowl version (the 63 did some heat related staggers in stop and go traffic the other day).Why do the throttle arms have to be so gruesome, how about a prettier cast arm?

·
Banned
435 Posts
Hindsight

There are a lot of past threads that have discussed Demon Carbs in detail. Many of them are not very flattering. However, since Barry Grant went bankrupt perhaps the "new" Demons have improved. It's worth the time and effort to do the research.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts