Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moroso pan question-

When you read that a Moroso pan holds "six" quarts, does that mean six quarts in the pan AND one quart in the filter, or six quarts total. I'm getting funny readings on the dipstick. Kinda silly question, but hey, I'm curious before I start throwing more oil in when I don't have to. Thanks. Dale

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
When it says six quarts that usually includes the oil filter. But, if you run a dipstick, just fill it to the full mark and measure how much it holds. If you run a ACdelco 1218 filter, it will hold more oil than a PF 25 because it's larger. Fill it to the stick. You're going for a specific level. Dave

·
Premium Member
758 Posts
Alot of guys who run a 6 -7 quart pan only put 5 quarts in the engine total and remark the dipstick. The reason that they do it is so that the oil level is lower in the pan in relation to the crank. This way the crank does not have to drag thru the oil at higher rpm's causing robbing of hp.

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
Moroso said:
"Capacities listed for Moroso Wet Sump Oil pans include the capacity of the pan only, measured at or below the normal fill mark on a stock dipstick. Additional oil must be added to compensate for filters, coolers, tanks etc."
Deep sump pans do not have to be filled to capacity. In fact the primary reason for a deep sump pan is to get the oil level away from the spinning crank. Running 5 qts in an 8 qt pan is acceptable and desireable for performance reasons.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Paul Wright said:
Deep sump pans do not have to be filled to capacity. In fact the primary reason for a deep sump pan is to get the oil level away from the spinning crank. Running 5 qts in an 8 qt pan is acceptable and desireable for performance reasons.
Just one question on that. I understand wanting to keep the rotating mass out of the oil for performance needs but in a street car is that a good thing to have less oil mist oiling the bottom of the cylinders and the piston pins etc? :confused:

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
Everything is a compromise. You can reduce the windage to a point that the pins aren't getting enough oil, but that takes some doing. By moving the oil sump away from the crank you aren't affecting the amount that flies off the crank from normal operation. Keeping the oil from getting aerated and collecting it efficiently in the sump will only have positive results.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Mike Goble said:
Everything is a compromise. You can reduce the windage to a point that the pins aren't getting enough oil, but that takes some doing. By moving the oil sump away from the crank you aren't affecting the amount that flies off the crank from normal operation. Keeping the oil from getting aerated and collecting it efficiently in the sump will only have positive results.

Cool, thanks Mike I was just wondering if doing that would cause some problems down the road. :)

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
I'd be more worried about ground clearance when using a deep sump pan on a street car. 5 quarts of oil "down the road" causes problems "right now".

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Paul Wright said:
I'd be more worried about ground clearance when using a deep sump pan on a street car. 5 quarts of oil "down the road" causes problems "right now".

LOL....now that is very true and very funny :D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Dale,
Glad to hear you got the new pan on. I had similar questions, my Milodon sqaure pan takes almost 12 qtz to get to the same height as a stock pan.

Didn't seem right and every body at this good old board finally turned on the light bulb for me. I now run 6 - 7 and it just barely hits the dipstick bottom line.

I can see where the previous owner may have scraped the pan once but I have not had any problems hitting it.

Chuck

·
Premium Member
4,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
See what happens when I can only get on the site once in the evening.20-some odd hours later? I feel bad when I cannot post replies and thank you's. I'll be running five quarts in the pan in the near future and re-marking the dipstick. I'll currently mark it now with an engraver and a "six" . Next time it'll be a "five". The six quart pan does "hang, but that's why I went to the effort of installing new front springs to restore the ride height back to stock. Currently, I LOVE how it looks with my powder coated red rims and caps. VERY "Granny"-like. And the Global West steering set-up seems to fine.:D

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Dale
Just to answer your original question... if you click on the moroso link below, the webpage tells you all moroso pan capacities do not include oil filter.
Tg

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
Deep sump oil pan

i'm thinking of getting a larger capacity oil pan and high volume pump for my 74. do i need a special pan or will a standard pan do? the reason i ask is i know the nova is a rear-steer and want to make sure i don't have to modify my steering, etc. also, what kind of oil capacity do i need for a high volume pump?

amos

·
Registered
9,953 Posts
I'd stick with a standard volume pump, it'll provide plenty of oil. What kind of pan do you have on there now?

·
Premium Member
8,405 Posts
The real purpose of "large capacity" oil pans is to get the oil away from the crank. Saavy racers don't fill them up to the top. Latest Car Craft (September '05 issue) shows 14 hp gain by dropping the oil level by 1.5 qts.

·
Registered
1974 chevy. Ova
1,179 Posts
i guess when you think about it...that makes sense paul. maybe next time, decided to go with the stock pan. thanks though

amos

1 - 17 of 17 Posts