Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having some trouble decoding the options on my cowl tag. Does anyone decode the "4L 5L"

Thanks
-Rob

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
I think the 5L may be seat belts. Not sure on the 4L???

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the muncie 4 speed a column or floor shift???

The car was setup for a column shift and had no hole in the floor board for a shifter.

I was reading that the cowl tags are incorrect as far as stating that cars were V8's when in fact the VIN stated they were six cylinders. Could the cowl tags have the wrong options as well?

-rob

·
13,723 Posts
Is the muncie 4 speed a column or floor shift???
The car was setup for a column shift and had no hole in the floor board for a shifter.
I was reading that the cowl tags are incorrect as far as stating that cars were V8's when in fact the VIN stated they were six cylinders. Could the cowl tags have the wrong options as well?
-rob
The Muncie 4 speed was a floor shift. All column shifts were 3 speeds and were standard equipment on the car. You are correct that most of these cars had cowl tags designating them as V/8's whether they were or not. Does your VIN indicate V/8 or six (six would be 311)? If it was originally a six, there was no Muncie 4 speed shift option available.

The numbers on the ACC line are group numbers. The letters are the actual codes. Normally, a 4 speed would be 2L, but options are incorrectly shown under other group numbers in many instances. These tags were hand punched and errors are not uncommon. I'm sure 5L is seatbelts, but 4L is a mystery, especially if your car was originally a six cylinder, which means it wouldn't have had 4 speed option available.

Bob

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The VIN is a 311. I purchased this car without an engine or transmission so I am trying to figure everything out

Thank you for your help..:turn:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts