Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do you remove the inner structure of a deck lid or hood? On my 63, I want to retain the skins to pin-on, but remove the inner supports and hinges.

I can't find any welds, only appears to be the skin wrapped around the edge of the supports and glue or silicone holding it together. I'd like to retain the edge if possible, just cut out the inside.

Any ideas?

·
6,558 Posts
There might be some spot welds to hold the two panels together but mostly it is from the wrapped around edge on doors and trunk lids.
On hoods there might be more spot welds and not so much wraped over edges.

If I wanted to remove a lot of the inner structure I would use a die grinder with a cutoff wheel and slowly work it deeper and deeper into the inner structure until it was cut through being careful not to gouge into the underside of the top skin. When I'm cutting metal with my cutoff wheel I run it back and forth for a few inches on my cut line and keep going until the metal is very thin and can be torn apart or fully cut apart. I make my first run with the cutter on the line and then go back into the small groove I made and then back again and slowly deepening the groove.

How much can be removed before you loose enough needed rigidity is anyone guess. Remove too much structure and the panel may flex or relax and then not line up properly to adjoining panels.

Jim

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much can be removed before you loose enough needed rigidity is anyone guess. Remove too much structure and the panel may flex or relax and then not line up properly to adjoining panels.

Jim
My thoughts exactly. One of my concerns is the strength of it, but I'm not planning on removing too much metal. Plus I'm eliminating the hinges and using a pin-on mount to a deck lid.

·
5,145 Posts
I have skinned a hood on a 69 Skylark before. There are resistance spot welds along the edges. You have to drill them out and seperate the two pieces. You will end up with holes in the edge of the hood where you drilled.
The deck lid has a hem flange like a door skin. In order to remove the outside skin you need to grind the edge of the lid wher it fold over. Doing this and keeping a nice looking edge will be next to impossible. You will also make the lid slightly smaller do to grinding on the edges, so you panel gaps will be wider.
Eastwood has a special pliers for peeling up a hem flange. I have used it to carefully unfold a hem flange on the bottom of a door. I did this to remove rust, and I refolded it when done. This pliers may work to unfold a deck lid, but you will probably bend the outside of the lid unless you are extremely patient and extremely careful.
Without the support in the middle the panels will be floppy. They will bounce up and down as you drive. You might want to put flex additive in the paint!
If you need to have it done. I would wittle away the bracing as Jim posted and leave it near the edges.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts