Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've searched the world over and all I have determined is that cracking the cowl code on a 62 could be the bases for the 3rd National Treasure movie with Nicholas Cage. At any rate I've been told that my acc. Code is rare. Any help? What is 37B? For a 62 2dr 400. Thanks.

·
13,809 Posts
Novaresource.org will not be of much help with '62 cowl tag info. I do not know of any source that has all this information. It's believed that the various plants may all have used different codes. Keep in mind the cowl tag only has codes for options requiring actions by Fisher Body to make them happen. This usually is limited to options requiring sheet metal modification, drilled holes, wiring runs, etc. Options like PG (unless the shifter is floor mounted), PS, PB, etc. are not usually coded. Padded dash, tinted glass, rear antennas, comfort & convenience packages, etc. usually are coded.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Bob, I wonder then if it is for my seats they are like no other I can find in a nova, doubt they are corvair since I don't think corvair were ever built in ohio. Other than that I cannot find anything that would alter any substantial change.

Attachments

·
13,809 Posts
I'm not at home and your pictures are not coming up on the laptop I'm using. I think they're too big.

Any chance your '62 came with factory bucket seats? There was no SS in '62, but buckets were an option on Nova 400 sport coupes and convertibles.

Bob

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The seat that is in it is a split bench, but it has head rests that fit flush at the top of the seat when it's down. I'll post another pic tonight to better show it.

·
13,809 Posts
Definitely not a Chevy II or Corvair seat. Your 750 trim code on the cowl tag says the car had a factory Aqua vinyl/cloth bench seat, so the 37B isn't buckets.

Bob

·
13,809 Posts
It's very rare that a 1962 cowl tag can be completed decoded. I have no idea what the additional numbers are on your tag. Cowl tags were basically for information to Fisher Body line workers. Different plants frequently had different internal codes that sometimes showed up on cowl tags. Most of them have never been decoded.

Bob

1 - 12 of 12 Posts