Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
- upgraded to front disc brakes but wanted to maintain 14" steel rims
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

- engine/transmission pulled, engine will be freshened up. Transmission is being upgraded to 700R with 3000 stall.

- New 3" pypes exhaust system with X pipe.

- New dash cluster with the new Dakota Digital RTX display.
Brown Vehicle Musical instrument accessory Automotive design Machine

- Car has factory air and will be upgraded to vintage air.

- Will upload more pics as progress and parts arrive, living in Alberta, Canada has its challenges when ordering parts then having them delivered $$$$

· Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Staying with the flat tappet cam that is in the engine currently, COMP Cams High Energy 268H Hydraulic Flat Tappet Camshaft Lift: .454" /.454" Duration: 268°/268° RPM Range: 1500-5500, aluminum heads with 1.6 ratio roller rockers, that have had considerable work done to them. Converter will be a lock-up unit. This engine has been in the car for going on 15 years, 383 estimated at approx 450+ HP. Just had it checked out and everything is good, not a lot of miles on it, maybe 9-10000 miles. The exhaust system that was on the car was a quite restrictive 2 1/4" with a dual inlet/outlet single muffler mounted factory style transversely. The current t350 in the car has a 2800 stall, the new 700R will have a 3000 stall because of the vintage air system will require a fast idle solenoid on the carb when the compressor kicks in, what my shop is recommending.

· Registered
850 Posts
What are the heads, specifically?

I ask, because, if you're looking at a 268H single pattern cam, but you have some stout heads with big intake runners... maybe look at its slightly-more-desirable brother, the XE268, if you plan on driving it hard and fast.

The 268H has a single pattern, 218/218 duration and .454 lift, and will probably be a little bit punchier down low. With middle-of-the-road heads, that's a great street cam. But with a 3,000 stall converter, you may be actually going past a usable RPM with it. That cam would like something closer to a 2,300-2500RPM converter, especially with its rated 1,500-5,500RPM range.

The XE268 is a dual pattern, 224/230 duration with .477/.480 lift that will cator more to higher RPM (ie: a 2,800-3,000 stall converter) and shorter gears, especially with the very steep 1st gear a 700R4 has. This is especially true with a high-flowing head, and 383 cubic inches-it will want more lift and duration to make the most of your setup.

Granted, I don't know what your end use is for the car, what rear gear you have, or how you'll drive it... But rarely do we modify cars to drive them slowly. The fact that you're using 1.6 rockers with the smaller cam may offset the lower lift and work well with less duration for a street car, too.

· Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Heads are the Patriot 188CC/64CC, I have the XE268 cam in it right now with 373 gears, I think this will make the car quicker with the 700R and 3000 stall. and I'm on short rubber. I don't race it, street driven only for fun. I had to look up my paperwork on the cam, I had it wrong.

· Premium Member
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Motors back in, I decided to paint the aluminum intake and heads, the transmission is built, just waiting on the stall converter. Converting to Vintage air, so the factory box will come out, I have the complete factory setup if someone is interested.

Vehicle Car Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts