Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need advice on switching out dead one barrel to a two or four barrel carb.if you go the way of the adapter and two barrel,can you put a new store bought carb?if you go the way of new intake and four barrel,can you leave the stock exhaust?

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Depends on your adapter. There are two that I've seen. One is an adapter to use a small rochester 2G 2bbl or a Holley/Webber 2bbl progressive carb. The other adapts a large Holley 350- 500 cfm 2bbl carb.
The Offenhauser 4bbl intake can be used with the stock exhaust manifold. The best 4bbl carb to use would be a Holley 390 cfm. This is the best route to go with, if you can afford it.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Offy intake plus 4bbl is the best from what I understand, but is expensive. H/W 5200 2bbl + adapter is still way better than the stock 1bbl and significantly less money.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Originally Posted by NovaJoe99
i am thinking of swapping my one barrel for the two barrel progressive with adapter from langdons,after talking with him,he made it sound like a challenge with the adapter + carb height not hitting the hood,and i would need a low clearance air cleaner.he could not help me with a linkage kit either.does this type of set up work for most people?
The clearance is more of an issue on my 69 than on the 63, but it's not a big deal by any means. I didn't like the low profile filter Langdon had, so I went with the K&N 56-1020. The included velocity stack fits on the 63, but I had to leave that part off on the 69 for the filter to clear the hood. That's the only clearance issue I ran into.

All you need to do for the linkage is raise the current cable bracket up several inches. Its easier when you mount the carb "sideways" with the primary/secondary facing front to back, rather than side to side. (It bugs the OCD in me that there's a level of theoretical uneven fuel distribution, but, perfection is the mortal enemy of good enough).

I haven't bothered to hook back up the autotrans kickdown, but once you get it put together the needed bracketry for that should be obvious and quite simple.

This set up has been the perfect bang for the buck for me. I'm not dealing with crappy rebuild 1bbls, leaky throttle shafts etc. The small primary gives better mileage and throttle response, the secondary gives decent go. Not much else I could ask for. Now that I've got the vacuum leak I'd been chasing solved, I'm getting 22mpg mixed city/freeway driving.

Speaking of vacuum leaks, watch the adapter to intake seal, either my intake is a bit warped or the adapter is, but the included gasket just wasn't enough to get it sealed fully. I hit both sides of the gasket with some additional hi temp rtv and it sealed perfect.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts