Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 71 w/ a 350 crankin out about 425 hp.
i have no vac pressure and i converted the car to /powerdisc.
should i run a mellower cam for drivability or remopve the power booster?
im running a comp cams electric vac pump ,but the recovery sux,i was gonna put a can on before i make a decision.
i did have the same issue with the car i pulled the engine from.
any input is welcome!:yes:

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,667 Posts
I have no clue on these issues but couldn't you just run a vacuum canister to power them?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
im going to but i think i will only see results if i piggy back the engine vac and the pump vac to the can, it may be easier to eliminate the power booster !:eek:
and that will clean up my engine compartment.:yes:

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
i got a 71 w/ a 350 crankin out about 425 hp.
i have no vac pressure and i converted the car to /powerdisc.
should i run a mellower cam for drivability or remopve the power booster?
im running a comp cams electric vac pump ,but the recovery sux,i was gonna put a can on before i make a decision.
i did have the same issue with the car i pulled the engine from.
any input is welcome!:yes:
I dont understand why the comp pump isn't enough, i installed this SSBC pump on a customers car and it works great.

http://summitracing.com/parts/SSB-28146/

maybe your booster has a vacuum leak somewhere?

·
Registered
476 Posts
Just my 2 cents.... decide which you want more, power brakes or 425 horses.
I'm guessing you'd want the horses because you probably dont drive it everyday anyway. FWIW, I have non power discs on my 66 and while it takes a firm foot, they work well. I personally wouldnt want a canister and a pump but its your call.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
Something doesnt sound right to me. I have a relatively radical solid cam in my 383 and my power brakes work fine along with my vacuum canister.

What cam do you have??

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Something doesnt sound right to me. I have a relatively radical solid cam in my 383 and my power brakes work fine along with my vacuum canister.

What cam do you have??
not sure the motor came out of another car i got it in.
the thing has about 7lbs of vacuum,and doesnt like a low idle ,
i haven't installed the canister yet .the booster is a brand new 7"double reservouir,im runnin outta room under the hood

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you've got power steering, I'd look into a hydroboost setup if you want to maintain power brakes...runs off the hydraulic pressure from the steering pump so it's not dependent upon vacuum at all. They aren't cheap, but well worth it if you want to have your cake and eat it too!

Here's one vendor, although there are others.

http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/2006/NewFiles/HydroBoost.htm
that is what i paid for my whole disc kit!
im sure i can find a solution, i get a shot or two out of it then its like the pedal is concrete!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
My friend had that issue and suggested using rhoads lifters and problem solved, power brakes worked good afterwards and car drove better. I woundnt down grade the brakes just make the cam think its smaller to up the vaccum.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts