Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
I tried to get that 1, but I didn't ever get a hold of the dude that makes it.

I went with the spal 2nd gen soft start to control the taurus fan with no problems.

I spoke to a guy that does r&d for them and said it will handle it.

It does.

I had the car up to 205deg and turned it on and cooled it down then it drops to .5 speed til it goes below the low seting you set then it shuts off.

Pretty cool. (pun intended)

If you control it with any kind of t-stat to relay it WILL wack you charging system bad as it goes to full speed from dead stop. :yes:

·
Registered
407 Posts
jeep guys

ok i was one of the crazy offroad jeep guys.
one great thing that comes from that is the great way we jeep guys pull together and share all info on making parts off of other cars work on ours with out spending much money.

this nova site reminds me of this.

here is a link on making a ford taurus electric fan on a jeep but its the same wiring on any car.you dont need to pay some company to top dollar for some relays.

this will show you how to wire it with low and high

its a little diffrent there is no ecu but you can make it work.

http://www.go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoTaurusFanInstall3.htm

all i ask in return for this info is to book mark it and next time someone ask for this info pass it along to your fellow nova bother.:yes:

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
My only beef with using relays is the 88amp instantanious load when you or the t-stat tells it to go on.

The Spal ramps up to .5 then ramps up more as cooling is needed. Much easier on the charging system. :yes:

I did the relay deal 1st, and ended up with the spal controller.

There are NO relays with the spal. It's done with electronics.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
fan control

Spal it is then!
This guy with the DCC Control must be a little out there. I don't want to bash anyone but the guy doesn't return emails. I ordered the FK-35, his website says it takes 10 days lead time. I waited a month. During the month I sent two emails asking if the control had shipped. No reply. Went back to paypal to have them contact him and two days later I had my money back. No reponse from the guy just my money back!

Man, I'm hoping the spal works like they say it should.....on High.

Anyone else out there use it on high without a problem?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I bought my dc controller a few years ago when they first came out. Didn't buy it from them directly got it from someone else from another board. I did hear that he never returns mail.. Works good with the taurus fan but there's other contollers out there that works just as good..

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Spal it is then!
This guy with the DCC Control must be a little out there. I don't want to bash anyone but the guy doesn't return emails. I ordered the FK-35, his website says it takes 10 days lead time. I waited a month. During the month I sent two emails asking if the control had shipped. No reply. Went back to paypal to have them contact him and two days later I had my money back. No reponse from the guy just my money back!

Man, I'm hoping the spal works like they say it should.....on High.

Anyone else out there use it on high without a problem?
You shouldn't have a problem.

Like I said in my previous post, I let the car heat up so it went past my high setting (190) so it ramped up to full speed 1st . Cooled down to the low speed setting which is 170 then it went off.

It only ramps up speed as much as needed. If you have a old, plugged up single row rad it will run on high a lot .

I am using a summit dual row "1 core rad without a trans cooler built in.

I have external trans coolers in front of the rad.

I hooked the controller up to the water temp sender to get the reading for it.

Good luck.

P.S I had the same results as you with that dude

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
fan control

Well my radiator is the stock V8 radiator with the transcooler built in. I just had it flushed....
My best friend is from Jersey so, if I have any problems we're comin' for ya!:D

Do you have the "New" Version 3 with the 3 preset temp levels and manually programmable as well?

·
Registered
3,601 Posts
Well my radiator is the stock V8 radiator with the transcooler built in. I just had it flushed....
My best friend is from Jersey so, if I have any problems we're comin' for ya!:D

Do you have the "New" Version 3 with the 3 preset temp levels and manually programmable as well?
I don't know if it's the 3 preset,it was the new 1 last yr . I'll dig out the manual. It is mannually programmable tho.

I better change the color of my car and change my avatar!

·
Premium Member
2,561 Posts
I have the 1st gen controler from Spal. I know the newer ones are better, but mine works great. It ramps up also as temp rises. On mine I had to have at least 20 degeres of temp between low speed cut in and high speed. The new ones the temp diference is much closer. I like that but I'm not going to buy the new one unless it breaks. I have had it on the universal summit radiator for 3 years now. I like it.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I went with the Dakota Digital controller. It came with a 40 amp relay and I bought a 75 amp Bosh relay. It works very well. The best thing about the Dakota controller is it can work off your exiting electrical temp gauge (SW, Autometer, VDO and others) if you don't have an electric temp gauge, DD also sells a sending unit. You can custom tune your high and low speed on and off to any temp.

The 75 amp relay should be fine for this setup on high. Set your temps correctly and the low speed will come on first, then switch to high speed if needed. The fan should already be spinning when high is engauged.

I believe the newer version come with a 75 amp relay for the Taurus fans. The only downside is that it has to go inside the car. Mine is under the dash by the temp gauge. I used a 100 Amp circuit breaker for circuit protection.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
spal controller

Ok Guys,

I hooked up the controller and I can't get the fan to work. I had to buy a spal compatible sending unit and now I still get a fan error code that won't clear. I also have A/C do any of you guys? When the A/C comes on it is supposed to turn the fan on hi, right?

Help!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts