Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Were any 69 novas painted Daytona yellow?

Have a friend hot to buy an original so i told him I'd ask the forum.

I've never seen nor heard of one.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,637 Posts
There's no Daytona yellow listed on the cowl tag info for 1969. I suppose it possibly could have been special ordered.

Here's the cowl tag info for 69

http://novaresource.org/c69.htm

See if your friend can get a picture of the cowl tag and we can decode it.

·
Registered
744 Posts
When I was in high school a guy who graduated a couple of years ahead of me bought a yellow 69 big block SS. If the yellow that you could get was Daytona Yellow, then that's what he had. I remember it was a screamer.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I remember watching a show on TV where a guy was restoring a 69 Camaro that came from the factory with a paint color that was not in the standard 69 Camaro line-up. They explained that there was a special paint code on the cowl tag (had an X in it possibly?). I wish I could remember a little bit more, it was quite a while ago.

The color wasn't even Chevrolet, it was out of the 69 Cadillac line up. Back then they would do anything you were willing to pay for. So its probably not too much of a stretch to think that there were a handful that left the factory in Daytona Yellow.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I agree with Tech. Should have a -- where the pnt code is stamped. Huggar orange wasn't available either, but we had a -- special pnt L78 huggar orange Nova in the shop a couple of years ago so it wouldn't surprise me to see a DY Nova.

There used to be a member on here Grim's 70 I believe, that had a very cool -- fire mist green metallic (Caddy color). Neat piece.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The guy looking for one swears he has heard of them. He wants an authentic one and is willing to pay. It will probably have to have original finish or paperwork to verify a true special order color if it's not specifically designated on the cowl tag.

If anyone runs across such an odd beast, please PM me.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I don't doubt that there were some DY special pnt cars, but again, I would have to believe they would show a -- on the trim tag. It is inconsistent though how GM speced color. DY, and H/O were only availabe on SS 396 Chevelles with the pnt codes stamped on the tag. The same color COPO 427 Chevelles had -- marks as the cars were not SS's, although one H/O COPO Chevelle has been found with a pnt nbr.

Camaros were different as I've seen 6cyl H/O cars with the pnt nbr stamped.

If H/O Novas are stamped --, it would seem to follow logic that the DY's would also.

Special pnt cars usually have a salmon colored card in the area or the inner heater box. That, and checking the floor pan, and rear seat partition area for DY overspray would help you verify the original color. The door frames though would be black on the inside.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Unless the car has been dipped or totally disassembled and blasted inside and out it should be pretty easy to determine what color it was originally. That paint found its way everywhere.

I changed color of a Saddle Tan 63 convertible a few years back. It was disassembled and soda blasted... looked bare when done, but during reassembly I couldn't believe how much tan paint I found in all kinds of places.

I am sure that this isnt anything that you guys dont already know. It will be a needle in the haystack kind of thing, but I am sure some are out there. Patience will be the key though.

At a swap meet last year was a barnfind DY 69 Camaro...they are hard to miss.

·
13,718 Posts
Butternut Yellow was the only yellow available as a factory color for 1969 Novas. It isn't even close to Daytona Yellow which shows as a 1969 Corvette color. As already mentioned, anything was possible in these years, including special factory paint jobs. It's quite possible there some factory Daytona Yellow '69 Novas, but probably very few. Finding one could become your lifetime work:).

Bob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts