Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I spent 4 months looking for a suitable Nova for my daughter. I would have rather had an older one, but I couldn't pass up this one. It was a father/son project, so it has had some work done. The paint and interior is 6+ years old but still not bad at all. I feel lucky after looking at some of other projects here. So far I have had the front end bushings and ball joints replaced, one window regulator, neutral saftey switch and a new set of T/A's on the rear. Other than that it was all cleaning and polishing to get it to this point. The 6 is tired but still working fine, and it goes fast enough for a fathers peace of mind. I am new to Novas but not new to Chevys, however my experience is mostly with trucks. I will be learning all I can from this site.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Gorgeous nova! Is that your '63 in the back ground?

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Very nice, hope your daugher likes it as much as you do, had a 78 painted charcole gray metallic with red int. with the same wheel combo for my first car. That six will never die, i tried :yes:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Gorgeous nova! Is that your '63 in the back ground?
Yes, that is my 63 step side. I bought it from the original owner 20 years ago. I pulled the six out of it and swapped in a 350/350t. I have pretty much learned how to work on Chevy's with that truck. It has been the most reliable vehicle I have ever owned.

Thanks for the compliments, yes my daughter says she likes the Nova.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have been knee deep in Chevy Luvs for the last 3 years but my daughters Nova finally demanded some attention. So I thought I would update and show what I have been up to for the last few weeks. I have always wanted to drop in a 350 and even had a 4.3 at one point but went with another 250/6 ($4 per gallon). I found one on craigslist in January and I am glad to say I scored as it runs awesome.

Here is before I started

I did a fair amount of degreasing and cleaning

I am glad to say all is good and it runs better than ever

I am going to take my polisher to the paint this weekend. I did a patch on the trunk lid and it is amazing under the crud.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very nice. My first car is a 75 nova 4 years ago when i turned 16. My dad wouldn't let me start out with anything but the 250 straight 6. That straight 6 will not die. I took mine out and replaced it with a worked over 350 now but the 6 ran strong for years.

·
Premium Member
3,578 Posts
That engine bay is looking good. I got my first nova at 16 and had 305 in her. My dad still freaks out about me having a 454 in the 78. Now im 27 and everytime I tell him I bought something new to add hp. He tells me I need a roll cage. But I guess thats just a dad being a dad. once again great work on the nova

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Thanks guys, I've been recovering from the swap for a week or so now. It takes it out of an old guy. All I have been doing is hunting for a 350 for my Luv so I can try and get it done by the end of summer.

I was going to post an ad for my old 250 from this Nova. Free for local pickup in OC. I need it out of my way ASAP. Upon further review of the forum rules my low post count prevents placing an ad.

So anyone wanting the OLD 250 pictured above shoot me a PM and its yours. I won't ship it but I do have a cherry picker to assist loading it into your vehicle.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
WOW nice engine work! That bay looks a hundred times better! Didnt need all that smog either! You dumped all of it right?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
WOW nice engine work! That bay looks a hundred times better! Didnt need all that smog either! You dumped all of it right?
Yeah, the smog pump was frozen when I bought the car so it was useless weight already. The replacement engine is a 68 so that eliminated a lot of crap I don't want or need. Simple is better, I really would have liked a 350 with a lumpy cam but gas won't be going down again in my opinion. :yes:

·
Registered
20,130 Posts
Excellent first car and a good looking car. Nice little driver to clean up and be proud of.

·
Registered
20,130 Posts
Thanks guys, I've been recovering from the swap for a week or so now. It takes it out of an old guy. All I have been doing is hunting for a 350 for my Luv so I can try and get it done by the end of summer.

I hear you about recovering.

A buddy of mine does those Luv trucks. His last one ran consistent 9.40s and he drove it all over. He had ran a best of high 8's I think also with it. Factory GM 400 block (575 hp est. + 250 nitrous).

1 - 19 of 19 Posts