Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

This photo was taken on a '65 SS I had checked out Friday. I haven't seen a tag like this with extra holes. Another '65 I looked at only had the two lower rivets, without the extra, empty holes.

I'm just trying to be careful I've seen tags for sale on Craigslist.

Should I be concerned about this tag, or does anyone else's look like this?

Thanks,

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Looks almost like someone has drilled holes to attach an aftermarket coil to the firewall :confused: The bottom rivets don't look right though . . .

·
Premium Member
7,437 Posts
The upper two holes are definately not factory and were added perhaps to mount something as indicated above.
The lower "smashed" looking rivets appear correct for 1965.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
The rivits do look correct. I wouldnt worry about the extra holes because the holes in the firewall match the holes in the tag. If there were holes in the tag but not in the firewall, then you could assume it was changed. I think someone put an aftermarket coil on also.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
What does the door tag look like ?? AS for the firewall tag , holes could have came from where.,, a coil .

Later Larry Mc

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks . . .

I appreciate the feedback. I think you're right - the holes go through the firewall, too, leading me to believe something used to hang there. Regards,

Mike S.
Tennessee

·
Registered
2,164 Posts
If you are worried...here is a list of things to look at in order of how hard they are to get to

1. Pull the kick panel and look at the back of the rivets on the VIN tag.
2. Pull the heater and look at the back of the rivets on the cowl tag.
3. Pull the drivers side fender and look at the stamped SVIN on the cowl lip.

Go ahead, ask me how I know. Yours doesn't worry me...just looks like a a poorly placed accessory of some type.

It appears to have been drilled from the back also, the holder of the drill probably didn't even realize they were drilling through the tag.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It appears to have been drilled from the back also, the holder of the drill probably didn't even realize they were drilling through the tag.
That's some good detective work. I think it makes it much more likely to be a dummy with a drill than anything nefarious.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts