Chevy Nova Forum banner
21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I did this back in the late 80s maybe?? early 90 I know I did not cut into anything I may have just made tabs to hold it in place I would have to pull it out? because I am not sure if I can get a good photo shot's from under the dash. I will have to check my photos to see if I did take any build pics of that I know I have some for how I did the other gauges. Those are all steel pods and Tapered into the dash.
I’m assuming you removed the Autometer lens / bezel from the tach. Did you remove the tach’s outer cover? Just trying to visualize how you attached to factory instrument panel. Sure looks like it belongs there....I like it! Thank you for sharing!

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Steering wheel

I LOVE THIS TACH ---I GOT THIS IMAGE FROM ANOTHER PERSONS POST THEY USED MY PICTURE LOL --- I CANT FIND THIS TACH FROM CLASSIC INDUSTRIES OR 396 ANY LONGER --- i HAVE A HIGH REVING 283 SO REALLY NEEDED THIS

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
The factory tach was a Sun tach too. Made in Chicago, IL specifically for GM. Sun made tachs for Mopar too back then.

When you install a 3-3/8" tach it will fit right behind the hole just like the factory. It's only when you mount it from the front that you would need to enlarge the hole.

This was the gauge setup I had in my '64 in 1983. I took a Sun ST series tach and removed the trim ring and the glass and installed it in my cluster. It is a perfect fit. I ran it for 15 years with this setup.

Here's an old pic of it:

Vehicle Gauge Motor vehicle Car Steering part

There weren't any reproduction bezels or lenses in 1983 so I cut a piece of Lexan for a lens and painted the bezel. I used to have some people ask if the tach was factory back then.

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
you simply cut the back attachment mounting portion off the clock delete insert, then JB Weld it to the Sun tach housing--of course you remove the tach lens--and it fits in using the factory holes. snug, but it fits. takes 10 mins. very doable.

people are typically giving them away at many of the swap meets. as long as the tabs are good, you are golden.

-Rusty

·
Registered
1972 chevrolet 400 special (argentinian first gen nova)
211 Posts
Here's what I am using in my '64 pro street:

1964 Nova SS Supercar Gauge Cluster (The Cluster GM Should Have Used)
  • All gauges restored/modified with new screened faces
  • 140 MPH speedo w/new odometer set to zero
  • Custom in-dash tach (made to resemble the OEM tach except it is 8,000 RPM vs 6,000).
  • Oil Pressure gauge modified to be 0-80 vs 0-60 PSI
  • Amp Meter replaced with 8-18v Voltmeter
  • Fuel gauge modified from 30 Ohm impedance to 90 ohm
  • Housing fully-restored / splash plate repainted correct color
  • New bezel & lens
View attachment 440478
this dash are really cool, I making a new tach for my Nova with similar aesthetic

Motor vehicle Font Measuring instrument Personal luxury car Auto part

the grapichs are in process, this is just to calibrate and check the tach work fine.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I’m assuming you removed the Autometer lens / bezel from the tach. Did you remove the tach’s outer cover? Just trying to visualize how you attached to factory instrument panel. Sure looks like it belongs there....I like it! Thank you for sharing!
No I did not do anything to the Autometer tech. Not that I recall. I guess I am going to have to try and take the dash out to get some photos because i have not found any photos from when I did all the other dash work.

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
I have CNC laser-cut mounting brackets designed especially for the Sun ST series tachs but will work with any 3-3/8" tach. They have tabs on them that can either be JB Welded on or silver soldered or spot welded.

I'd show a pic of a bare bracket but am out of town for work. I get back next weekend. Once installed it looks factory (even from the backside).

Motor vehicle Vehicle Bicycle part Automotive lighting Auto part

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have CNC laser-cut mounting brackets designed especially for the Sun ST series tachs but will work with any 3-3/8" tach. They have tabs on them that can either be JB Welded on or silver soldered or spot welded.

I'd show a pic of a bare bracket but am out of town for work. I get back next weekend. Once installed it looks factory (even from the backside).

View attachment 440518
If your selling the tach mounting bracket I’d like to buy one. Let me know… thanks

·
Premium Member
8,384 Posts
I know I have a few left plus I still have the CNC file too to make more. Let me see how many I have left when I get back home next weekend. I also have several of the ST series tachs including a couple NOS ones. They are pretty-rare and were used in the Baldwin Motion cars and sold over the counter as well back in the 60s -70s. But these brackets will fit any tach of that size.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Gerry I'm new to this site. How do I contact a member directly?
1320pilot, you've probably seen it by now, but DanyR replied to this thread (post #27, above). Click on his avatar and look for the "Start a Conversation" link. If you need more help with it, ask one of the more tech-savvy folks here, I'm sure someone will jump in and tell you what I don't know :)

21 - 40 of 51 Posts