Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1964 Chevy ll Nova SS 4 Speed Original
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone point me in the right direction for an in dash tach for a 64 SS. I have a broken clock now and would like to replace it with a tach.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Ron

·
Registered
1963 Nova SS and 1965 Nova
435 Posts
GM classics, Classic Industries, Year one, Ground Up and other supply houses sell both the 63 to 65 conversion and a reproduction of the factory 65 tach. If not in stock and you can't wait for them maybe used here in parts for sale, Marketplace on Facebook, Craigslist, ebay etc.

·
Registered
1963 Nova SS and 1965 Nova
435 Posts
Geoff I’ve looked at most all parts houses. Where do I find a tach like yours to retrofit.
I bought mine from Shiftworks. I know the site says backordered but give them a call they may have some more info or at least know when to expect to ship more out.

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Here's what I am using in my '64 pro street:

1964 Nova SS Supercar Gauge Cluster (The Cluster GM Should Have Used)
  • All gauges restored/modified with new screened faces
  • 140 MPH speedo w/new odometer set to zero
  • Custom in-dash tach (made to resemble the OEM tach except it is 8,000 RPM vs 6,000).
  • Oil Pressure gauge modified to be 0-80 vs 0-60 PSI
  • Amp Meter replaced with 8-18v Voltmeter
  • Fuel gauge modified from 30 Ohm impedance to 90 ohm
  • Housing fully-restored / splash plate repainted correct color
  • New bezel & lens
Gauge Motor vehicle Measuring instrument Vehicle Tool

·
Premium Member
8,386 Posts
Mine isn't one of the repops. It is a vintage Sun tach that has been re-screened and rebuilt electrically. A lot higher quality vintage made in USA tach vs the cheap plastic Chinese repops.

I made these off and on for about 15 years and probably made about 50 of them mostly for people on this forum and on eBay but no longer do them. No time to do them and I was actually losing money on them.

The tach has a laser-cut mounting bracket just like the real deal tach and clock have. Bolts right in like factory.

·
Registered
1964 Chevy ll Nova SS 4 Speed Original
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Man I wish I had one of those, finding one and the rear trim I'm looking for I might as well shoot flaming elephants out of my backside.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Really like how you installed your Autometer tach. Do you have any pictures or details describing how you went about attaching and making work that you could share?
I did this back in the late 80s maybe?? early 90 I know I did not cut into anything I may have just made tabs to hold it in place I would have to pull it out? because I am not sure if I can get a good photo shot's from under the dash. I will have to check my photos to see if I did take any build pics of that I know I have some for how I did the other gauges. Those are all steel pods and Tapered into the dash.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts