Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a swatch from SMS Auto fabrics after sending them a pic of my dash pad. The color is a bit lighter than the original pad in the first pic but compared to a aftermarket dash pad I bought in the second pic that was supposed to be the original color, it is way off. Do any of you that know about bright blue interiors which one if either are correct? I am sure the original one being baked in the sun has changed color but it is still darker instead of lighter than the swatch. Did the seats and door panels match the dash pad or were they off color? Because my seats don't match the dash and are closer to the repop dash but my original dash is original.

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
Can't talk about blue interior, but mine is aqua and the dash color is a lot darker than the seats and door panels. I had my dash restored by "Just Dashes" not cheap and that was 20 years ago. Before I sent the dash there was small pieces on the under side of the dash that never saw the light of day. I compared these that I took off the original dash to the color of the restored dash and it was a perfect match. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info..

I live 27 miles from Just Dashes so I drove there. I am having my dash pad done by them. Muey expensive but they will keep the correct shape as it came from the factory unlike my repop. The color will be darker than the seats and panels which is scary but that is what it is from the factory. There were pieces like you said under the pad that never saw light and it was much darker than the arm rest I had stashed away.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
If there is one interior color where absolutely nothing matches in terms of color shade, it's Blue!! An original blue interior will have everything being a different shade, just ask the guys who have restored the Fathom Blue / Blue Interior '68 Gibb Novas - they actually look for the mismatched blue interior pieces....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Did Just dashes have the correct color blue? Are they going to dye paint it? Curious as I have a dark blue one as well.

Thanks

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They have a video on their website showing the whole process and yes they spray it with the dye. www.justdashes.com I was going to have my armrest done there but I found repops that are very close to the factory shape and the color was just slightly off from the original but actually matched PUI seat covers and door panels. They would charge me $150 just to make the matching dye to the old and right now it is not in the budget. Not to mention the cost of the repair work. But maybe someday in the future when I have money to burn, and feel like I want my factory ones redone to the original color and shape, I will get them done. The repops fit OK but the original drop right in place in the plastic base and have more of the sharp edges and angles than the repop. I would have to have the original base redone in the chrome color and fix a small crack to make it perfect and that is another reason. $$$ I ordered repop bases as my bases were painted black some time in the early 70's before I bought the car.

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
If not the right colour...you can base coat your dash and spray with SEM satin vinyl clear. Stays flexible and wont crack/peel. Did my Canso door piping and kick panels this way with no problems 4 years later. Before base coat and after.Bent at the A pillar with no cracking! Base coat to the right colour and then SEM clear.:yes:

Attachments

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
Did the seats and door panels match the dash pad or were they off color? Because my seats don't match the dash and are closer to the repop dash but my original dash is original.
The interior hues did not match between most, if not all colors, with the various interior parts. The metal dash and dash pad were normally a different hue, as well as "duller" than the doors and seats. Part of the reason for this was to reduce glare in the eyes of the driver.

Another factor was the various interior pieces came from varying vendors. Even if they were using the same GM designated paint color codes, there would have been differences in hue simply from human variability.

Many years ago I had a basically unmolested original black interior 65 SS, only the headliner had been changed. The carpet was a different hue from the dash, which was different than the seats, etc. The metal portion of the dash differed from the metal on the doors and rear seat quarter area. All black, but all different if examined with a critical eye.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Do anyone have a picture of their 63 with a dash pad on it? All the ones I see are just painted and no dash pad. I was curious what it looked like with a pad.

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
I'm ready to get mine restored or replaced. I can't find any sample that matches my blue.

Is there an article on restoring your own? Think I'll go look.

BtW, how much they charging you?

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
I'm ready to get mine restored or replaced. I can't find any sample that matches my blue.

Is there an article on restoring your own? Think I'll go look.
Repainting the dashes with vinyl dye is not that big of a deal. It is all in the prep work - clean, clean, clean and then clean some more. You need to get ALL the dirt and grime off / out of the vinyl. We use degreasers meant for interior. Also thoroughly scuff with a light Scothbrite.

Now if 1) the foam is shot or 2) it has even moderate cracks I would only trust someone who has lots verifiable experience restoring dashes. Many can make them look great until the first hot summer and a repair pops. Look in the Ford or Chrysler world for who those guys are using.

With color, any reputable body supply store can color match vinyl dye for you or point you to a place that can. You can usually get it aerosol can or for the spray gun.

·
Super Moderator
3,830 Posts
I'd say aqua is the hardest to match, as it changed from year to year, but all of them, save black, are kind of tough.

What's 'muy expensive' anymore? Can someone at least give a range of what just dashes charges? Trying to do my convert on a budget, I'm happy with the pad, but unhappy with the color match. I swear, color matching automotive paint is a lost art, and computer-aided matching doesn't always work out. And try to get that done in person rather than buying the paint matched to a sample you send them...I learned the hard way.

·
Vendor
1,760 Posts
What's 'muy expensive' anymore? Can someone at least give a range of what just dashes charges?
I think Just Dashes is charging around $400 for a 1st gen pad these days. Cost varies with damage. I have never had a Nova one done there, as can normally find good used to repaint.

I swear, color matching automotive paint is a lost art, and computer-aided matching doesn't always work out. And try to get that done in person rather than buying the paint matched to a sample you send them...I learned the hard way.
I agree. Probably comes from the reliance on the computers doing it and not having the years of experience eyeballing it. In-person is the only way to go when matching paint.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts