Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 78 nova wh AC andI was needing to know how to remove my dash pad and how hard or difficult it is. I am wanting to replace the dash mounted speaker and this is the only way I know of getting to it to replace it. Any tips would be appreciated

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
Welcome!

Neither of my Novas ('74 & '77) has AC (I know that complicates things with the extra under-dash ductwork), but I was able to replace the dash mounted speakers without having to remove the dash pads. It's a fairly long reach up in there, and I imagine with AC you'd probably have to take out a section or two of duct for access. But it might still be easier than taking out the pad.

I have removed / replaced the dash pads in both cars as well and it's a fairly involved job. First, you have to take out the instrument cluster / bezel assembly. That involves removing the radio, headlight, and wiper switches (or at least unplugging the wiring from the switches). Then loosen and lower the steering column down (disconnect the trans shift indicator cable first if you have a column shift automatic). Next, remove about 5 phillips screws from along the top edge of the bezel, 2 more from under the heater/AC control panel, and about 4 (2 each side) hex head screws from the lower edge of the bezel. Finally, tilt the bezel out, reach behind and unplug the cluster connector (has latch tabs on the ends that have to be squeezed to release) and disconnect the speedometer cable (has a spring tab that has to be pushed to release). At this point, you should be able to carefully pull the instrument cluster & bezel out of the dash, leaving the heater/AC control hanging in the opening. And from here, you might have enough room to reach in to get at the speaker (the bracket holding it in place only has a single screw).

But if you do need to continue on with removing the dash pad, you'll have to take out the glovebox liner (held in place with about 4 phillips screws). Then remove the screws (one on each end) of the dash pad ... the one on the driver side should be easily accessible now that the cluster/bezel is out of the way and the one on the passenger side is accessible with the door open. Now, there are about 5 nuts threaded onto studs protruding from the under-side of the dash pad. 3 are across the lower/front edge of the dash pad above the ash tray / glove box area. One is further forward on the dash pad above the glovebox opening. And the final one is above the instrument cluster opening. You might have to take out some of the AC ductwork to gain access to some of these nuts. Once all of those nuts are removed, gently lift up on the back edge of the dash pad and pull it rearward to disengage the clips along the front.

·
Registered
198 Posts
As I recall with the total disassembly of my 72 interior and methodically reassembling it, the dash speaker has to be installed from underneath whether the dash pad is removed or not.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Welcome!

Neither of my Novas ('74 & '77) has AC (I know that complicates things with the extra under-dash ductwork), but I was able to replace the dash mounted speakers without having to remove the dash pads. It's a fairly long reach up in there, and I imagine with AC you'd probably have to take out a section or two of duct for access. But it might still be easier than taking out the pad.

I have removed / replaced the dash pads in both cars as well and it's a fairly involved job. First, you have to take out the instrument cluster / bezel assembly. That involves removing the radio, headlight, and wiper switches (or at least unplugging the wiring from the switches). Then loosen and lower the steering column down (disconnect the trans shift indicator cable first if you have a column shift automatic). Next, remove about 5 phillips screws from along the top edge of the bezel, 2 more from under the heater/AC control panel, and about 4 (2 each side) hex head screws from the lower edge of the bezel. Finally, tilt the bezel out, reach behind and unplug the cluster connector (has latch tabs on the ends that have to be squeezed to release) and disconnect the speedometer cable (has a spring tab that has to be pushed to release). At this point, you should be able to carefully pull the instrument cluster & bezel out of the dash, leaving the heater/AC control hanging in the opening. And from here, you might have enough room to reach in to get at the speaker (the bracket holding it in place only has a single screw).

But if you do need to continue on with removing the dash pad, you'll have to take out the glovebox liner (held in place with about 4 phillips screws). Then remove the screws (one on each end) of the dash pad ... the one on the driver side should be easily accessible now that the cluster/bezel is out of the way and the one on the passenger side is accessible with the door open. Now, there are about 5 nuts threaded onto studs protruding from the under-side of the dash pad. 3 are across the lower/front edge of the dash pad above the ash tray / glove box area. One is further forward on the dash pad above the glovebox opening. And the final one is above the instrument cluster opening. You might have to take out some of the AC ductwork to gain access to some of these nuts. Once all of those nuts are removed, gently lift up on the back edge of the dash pad and pull it rearward to disengage the clips along the front.
Thank you for the step by step on the entire thing. It does sound like a major headache to remove the pad. I think I’d rather not have a dash speaker than to go through that process. Is it fairly easy to remove the ducting underneath the dash? I know you said your cars didn’t have it.

·
Registered
1974 Nova, 1977 Nova
2,055 Posts
You're right Mike ... the speaker does have to be installed from underneath, no matter what.

Years ago, I parted out a '77 that had factory AC. I don't remember the ductwork being all that difficult to remove. But I can't remember if the piece(s) that would block access to the speaker can be taken out without additional disassembly (like taking out the instrument panel/bezel).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took out the center section of AC duct today and it was very easy. I took out the glove box compartment too just to have more room to get the duct work out and it gave me tons of room to get the old speaker out thankfully. Now I just need to find a replacement and get it wired up. I appreciate yalls help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts