Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, any of you using the SHP Pro block? What are the pro's and con's? Anybody take one up to 1,000HP yet? How is stroke clearancing? I would like to go to 3.875" myself, if I get the block. With a BBC cam bore how is rod to cam clearance? I plan on using one of these to build a forced induction 421sbc. I scrapped my stock block build in favor of picking up one of these blocks :yes:. So I will be offering up both my stock 400 (511) blocks once I order the SHP Pro block. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
20 Posts
the stroke clearance is alright! if your only building a 421.. we have built a couple 427s with all kinds of clearance. once you get into the 434 range things start getting tight

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
We have a few, used with 3.750 stroke only.

I'm sure the 3.85 can be used.

Only negative is the oil pan dipstick provision is 81-85 year model pans.
So you a little limited, other than that it's all ok.

Block is a great price and needs very little machine work for final prep.

Al

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hey guys, any of you using the SHP Pro block? What are the pro's and con's? Anybody take one up to 1,000HP yet? How is stroke clearancing? I would like to go to 3.875" myself, if I get the block. With a BBC cam bore how is rod to cam clearance? I plan on using one of these to build a forced induction 421sbc. I scrapped my stock block build in favor of picking up one of these blocks :yes:. So I will be offering up both my stock 400 (511) blocks once I order the SHP Pro block. Any help and info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again guys!
I do a lot business with Dart and machine alot of there blocks the Pro block is nice piece for sure, For extra cam to rod clearance you might look at these rods http://www.callies.com/connecting-rods/ultra-xd/ And a Callies Magnum crank with a 2 in rod journal.

If you use the callies rods you will not need any stroker pan.

Make sure lifters are fitted.

4 inch stroke in those blocks I would not do as there is to much piston hanging out of the bore at BDC.

I you need any help with your build shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just had a 427 built, with the Pro block. this summer will tell how strong it is. will be a F2 Procharger force feeding E85 and air to it. :yes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I do a lot business with Dart and machine alot of there blocks the Pro block is nice piece for sure, For extra cam to rod clearance you might look at these rods http://www.callies.com/connecting-rods/ultra-xd/ And a Callies Magnum crank with a 2 in rod journal.

If you use the callies rods you will not need any stroker pan.

Make sure lifters are fitted.

4 inch stroke in those blocks I would not do as there is to much piston hanging out of the bore at BDC.

I you need any help with your build shoot me a PM.

Thanks for the reply! I also appreciate your knowledge and your offer to help. Thank you.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just had a 427 built, with the Pro block. this summer will tell how strong it is. will be a F2 Procharger force feeding E85 and air to it. :yes:
Good luck with it, I am eager to see your results. I picked up the BDS stage II 6-71 from 3DTim last year and havent run it yet.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's what Dart Tech had to say: "Hello Marlon

Yes, per a lot of the parts on the market, we put the rating on the “conservative” side. Yes, this block can be clearanced for that stroke, we actually use our standard SHP block for our 427 short block assemblies, and they use a “4.00 stroke.

You should be very close on having to use a small base circle camshaft, I know when our 427’s are built, we use a small base circle cam. With a little less stroke, it would be close. If it were me, I would just build it with the small base cam; just to be extra sure everything will be in good shape!

1,000HP should be fine with the SHP Pro."

Thanks!

B.J. Maduri

(248)-362-1188 ext 105

(248)-362-2427 fax

www.dartheads.com

1 - 10 of 10 Posts