Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and this is a critical point because I want to change to solid motor mounts but more importantly I need to install the driver side header.

so I put a piece of wood on a jack and jacked the oil pan. the freaking car is three feet in the air and the driver side mount will not budge.

the passenge side moves about half an inch but no more. what could I be doing wrong? do I need a pry bar or something?

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The engine is probably binding on the mounts, so prying one side at a time may be the answer, you may need to undo the tranny and lift it a bit to prevent the binding. I know my mounts are pretty snug and undoing the tranny helps.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The engine is probably binding on the mounts, so prying one side at a time may be the answer, you may need to undo the tranny and lift it a bit to prevent the binding. I know my mounts are pretty snug and undoing the tranny helps.
hey,. thanks. what do you mean by undoing the tranny? you mean the two bolts that hold the tranny mount to the crossmember?

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
hey,. thanks. what do you mean by undoing the tranny? you mean the two bolts that hold the tranny mount to the crossmember?
If you have a solid mount it won't gve and cause it to bind. If you have solid mounts and tighten them down really tight they will squeeze together and pinch tight on the frame mount. Next time use lock nuts and don't tighten them down so tight.

·
Registered
607 Posts
and this is a critical point because I want to change to solid motor mounts but more importantly I need to install the driver side header.

so I put a piece of wood on a jack and jacked the oil pan. the freaking car is three feet in the air and the driver side mount will not budge.

the passenge side moves about half an inch but no more. what could I be doing wrong? do I need a pry bar or something?
Bro, did you try loosening the 3 bolts that attach the mount to the block? That's assuming those are accessible. Just trying to point out the obvious, =)

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
Ya that will allow the engine to come up level about an inch or so!

·
Registered
748 Posts
Thats what I'm running on my 69 nova with a 454. Moroso brand solid steel mounts on both sides. I really like them over the factory rubber mounts.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I want to say thank you to all who helped me. the pry bar worked like a charm. I was able to get it up high enough get the mount off and install the Moroso solid steel one on the driver side. It will also help greatly in installing the driverside header.

my buddy wanted to charge me $100 to bring his hoist over to lift the motor lol.

I think I will only do the driver side solid mount at this time Ive read of some people doing that successfully.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Wow $100 some buddy. The most I have charged a buddy is a 6 pack and that was for about 8 hrs of work. All though he paid me well over 6. :D Im guessing he doesnt own a Nova.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
I have Competition Engineering polyurethane mounts and think they're the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
2,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Some buddy! You can buy your own hoist for $150!

thats what I thought but didnt say anything as he has helped me a lot in the past.

where can I get one for $150. I put an ad on my local craigslist last week and got no replies.

·
Premium Member
901 Posts
I got mine from northern tool for 125 when they were on sale.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I guess its too late in the thread to chime in and joke about the "jack it" comment...?

seriously, I am borrowing a hoist from a friend. Hope to pick it up and deliver back to him in a short time frame, along with a case of beer. I am being optimistic and hoping I am only going to install this motor once!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts