Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Nova guys and gals. I've been a member here since 2004 so I'm well overdue for a build thread.

Here's the 71 in 2005 when I was daily driving it in high school.
(350/TH350, 2.73 ratio open 8.2 rearend, stock converter)

The car sat from 2006 till the beginning of this year when I got my own garage to finally start working on it. On the flatbed headed to the new garage:D

Ugly cluttered engine bay.

355ci SBC equipped with Dale Snokes infamous Vortec heads:devil:

Fabbed up some subframe connectors

Side profile of the connectors:yes:

Front attachment point

Tied into the rear

Moser 30 spline axles

GM Auburn carrier

Scored this on ebay. Low miles GM 8.6 3.73 gearset with everything in the picture for $75:eek:

Summit stock height leaf springs (CE solid bushing in front, poly in back)

275/60/15 MT ET Streets mocked up

Still have a lot of work ahead of me but its coming along. I hope to get it back on the road by the end of summer :D

·
Registered
20,138 Posts
Looking really good, nice car.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Looks really good. I also am building a 71. I am actually looking at the same tires to run out back. I seem to be at the same point you are exept mine is in primer. I also have the same rims on mine. What trans are you running?

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Looking good.
Great to see you can fit 275/60/15 MT ET's in a 3rd gen :yes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
awesome looking nova:yes: i see you have the same Hobart welder that i do, what settings did you have the welder on when you welded the sub frame connectors in? i know you have to fine tune the settings but a starting point would be nice.
That Hobart 140is a great welder. The .120 wall 2x3 subframe connecters were attached to the stock subframe using ~105amps (3 setting on the Hobart) with wirespeed between 40-45. I used a 75%/25% Argon/CO2 shielding gas with the line pressure at 6lbs.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looking good.
Great to see you can fit 275/60/15 MT ET's in a 3rd gen :yes:
Yep 275/60/15 ET Steet mounted on 15x8 rim with 5.5" backspacing. Clears everywhere but its a little tight (1/8" clearance) on the inside tub. Looks like a slight minitub is in order.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
IT'S COM'N OUT SWEET, :thumbsup: KEEP THE PICS AND UPDATES COM'N! :yes:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I took some pics of the progress tonight.

Here's the rearend finally built. It took longer than I had planned due to a lack of certain tools. This was my first rearend build so I had the carrier in and out of the housing probably 15 times. Nevertheless it is done (minus disc brakes). I reused the stock pinion shim and set the backlash @ .010". The gear pattern looks great.

This is the setup I am going with in the rear. CE aluminum bushing in the front with Energy Suspension poly bushings in the rear. I made some shackles out of flat stock, they are stock length but heavier gauge than the stock shackles.

And heres how she sits with the new leafs/diff/wheels and tires:

Dan

1 - 20 of 77 Posts