Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently poseted on weather or not to get this dana 60 for 400 or a ford 9 for 100. I just found out that the dana has a 23 spline axles. I didn't know they came that way. Whats up with that????

·
Registered
250 Posts
What is it going in? How wide is it? blah blah.... 23 splines axles must be massive. I was going to buy one (Dana)for $200 and decided that I can make my 8.5 10 bolt strong enough to handle 500 HP on the street. Personally, I would not hit a dead horse in the a** with a 9 inch either. They use gobs of power to turn, the pinion is at a stupid angle, it has different length axles, the pinion supports never hold up long unless you buy the high dollar case. The one and ONLY advantage I have ever seen is the set up. If you must have that option look for a early Olds or Pontiac rear.

Why not a 12 bolt? You can make them just as strong as a 9 inch for less money. They are easy enough to narrow, just whack the ends and buy bolt on bearing ends for them. I ran one for 9 years in my Drag car with a 4 speed and a 65 pound flywheel doing 7000 rpm launches and only replaced one (1) ring and pinion in that 9 years. I had Mark Williams axles, but they are cheap anymore. A Dana is just a gignatic 12 bolt. All the strength is in that case. You would bend everything else before you shucked a pinion out of it. Like I have seen too many 9 inch fords do.

To answer your question, it would not be worth the expense for a street/strip car. Dana's are meant for heavy cars with Ultra high horse power engines. One advantage they have over all the others is you can get a 7.17 ring and pinion ratio for it.Do a search of Chevy HI-performance where they were covering the 8.5 10 bolts in two turbo drag cars running in the 8's. Good enough in my book.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
the dana i have is a 67 hemi rear it has 23 splined axles with one of those lockers . it came out of a car making 600 hp and big slicks with a 4 spd., it is all stock he never broke it . i havent either.
i would trust it no matter what . very common in older hemi and 440 cars.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Do Dana 60s really use up alot of power?

When I had my wrangler I used to pound on the Dana 35 all day and night going through mud pits, climbing rocks, and blowing through the deep snow we get here in NJ sometimes. I busted the transfer case and the driveshaft u-joints a couple times but that rear always held up. Of course it was the 6 cylinder HO but it was torquey as hell.

It would be great if someone did a right up on this.

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
no more than any other rear. the 9 just has a odd pinion gear contact and it uses a little bit more to turn. nothing you would notice . to me the diofference is the deflection or lack there off. with a dana in the housing , big beefy tubes mean no warping. unlike a factory 9 inch housing.

oh buy the way the 8 inches can look like a 9 , the bottom 2 bolts on a 9 carrier can only be tightened with a wrench. if you can put a socket on them its a 8 inch. and 8's and 9's can use the same axles. there is no difference
and be carefull not to get one of those 78 lincoln 9 inch rears they are junk. i dont think they are true 9. something like 9 1/4 jbimmolate would know better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.