Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After moving the springs inbord with the Comp Engineering kit. My shackles are all messed up. What is the easiest way to solve this issue? I was thinking of cutting the mount off the bracket and re-welding it where it lines up better with the leaf eye.. The spring perch measurements were taken with no weight on the car, and then welded, centered on the housing. The spacers that are in the pics were from the original owner of the car.. Not sure what they are for.. Should I bolt the tires on the car and see if everything settles? The shackle on the left side is the worst (as you can see) The lower bolt is actually pointing downhill quite a bit. The bushings do not have that steel rod going thru them.. Is that needed??

·
Registered
562 Posts
if that is still off then the perches could be off, or the front mount could be off. post pics of mounts and perches. junk the spacers

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here is step by step what I did with the rear end out of the car: Loosened up front spring hangers (per Comps instructions) Unbolted top of shackle on both sides. Dropped rear of springs to the floor. Installed re-location kit, bolted shackles back to new mounts. With the leafs hanging with in the air I measured the distance between the 2 center pins and transfered that number to the rearend for my perches. I have no idea why the left side is so screwed up looking.. Who sells the steel bushing inserts?

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
The 1st thing you need to do is get rid of the spacers and get some good bushings. The bottom spacer is pushing towards to out side of the car. I would remove everything and check the alignment of the spring eye and the C/E mount. And go from there. Your pearches may be off. I would have bolted it all together 1st then marked the axle tubes with the new pearch location.

But remove shackles and center the rear end and see just how off everything looks and post some pics.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
Your spring perches are off. The rear eye of the springs don't line up with the hangers.You could try and losen up the perches and move the springs on the perches, but I think you're too far off here. Probably going to have to cut them loose and re weld them. Get rid of those spacers and get a good set of bushings. Botl the springs up in the rear. Put the spring perches on the tubes (not welded) and set the rear end in place. Set the rear end up where you want iot from there, then tighten everything down and tack the perches into place. Then, if you don't wqant to do it in the car, pul;l the rear end out and fully weld the perches. Also, why both u and j-bolts? The J bolts are used to set preload adn make the rear adjustable (to an extent).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for the input guys. Regarding the spring perches, I did relocate them, however, when I took my measurements for the center pins, the springs weren't lined up to the new mounting point just right. It's a real easy measurement to mis-calculate because the springs are being forced over into their new positions, even with the front spring bucket loose.

I have it all torn back apart, and after getting new numbers, I'm ready to fire up the plasma cutter

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
My suggestion would be to mount the springs in with the new bushings and get the springs parallel and equal distant front to rear. Center the rear end and then test fit to see where the perches fit. Measure it all up to be square even and all that. Tack the perches in place then pull the rear out and weld them suckers. Maybe put a little pinion angle in when you weld the perches.

May I also suggest slotting the holes on the traction bars up front where the snubber is to put the snubber dead center of the front spring eye.:D

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
perches

gotta wonder if the perches were welded in the right location from looking at the pic. Looks to be a touch too wide. Something is wrong there for sure.

I think i would have done a test fit with everything mocked up but not welded. Better to do that so you can nail down your pinion angle also

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
gotta wonder if the perches were welded in the right location
Gotta wonder if people read the posts in the thread or just post to post...:poke::stir::poke::stir:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts