Chevy Nova Forum banner

damn aircare

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  d man 
#1 ·
in vancouver we need to aircare our cars. i ran my 63 194 original motor nova through and i did pass the driving test however i failed the idle test :( to be honest i really didnt think i was going to pass at all but.... my question is what do i need to look at to pass the idle test or any tricks ? any help would be great it feels like summer and she needs to be on the road

#2 ·
WTF you have emissions testing on a car that old? :eek: How can they emissions test a car that had NO emissions equipment and no emissions guidlines to go by?

Mix some alcohol in the gas and that should make it run clean enough to pass. Sounds like it is to rich at idle so leaning out the idle mixture might make it pass also.

#3 ·
I didn't think you needed aircare in Maple ridge but i guess you're still part of the GVRD. I have a 750 on my truck and while it passes the drive test with flying colours, the carb "loads up" and fails the idle test. Of course there's the option of registering the car outside the GVRD. But that's not without it's problems. If you're suffering from blow-by then try a product called "No Smoke". A couple of buds swear by it. I've leaned out my carb while waiting in the line up in the parking lot but that can be hit and miss. If you're close, crank up the idle to 1200-1300 rpm. That worked for me this year. But if you want to be sure, you have to take it to your local shop that has a sniffer, adjust it, go through and then return it back to where you want it.

#4 · (Edited)
yeah air care on a car that old sucks but the government wants to get paid for doin nothing!!!! maple ridge is the last stop in the gvrd and mission (the next city over ) is considered lower mainland however my girlfriend still has to air care. i think its a lower mainland thing not just limited to the gvrd. :(

thanks for the advice i will give it a go. if i hear anymore tricks i will post them. i have been told carb cleaner before you go in helps.

#7 ·
The Aircare region includes the Fraser Valley Regional District which includes Abbotsford, Mission and Chilliwack. When Aircare first started, untold numbers of people registered their vehicles to post office boxes in Hope to avoid the testing. That loop hole was quickly filled when they made a rule that vehicles had to be registered to street addresses only. That prompted people to register vehicles to addresses of relatives and friends outside the Aircare area. Now you'll notice that your ICBC documents state the address shown is also the location where the car is kept when not in use. Registering a vehicle outside your area of residence can void your insurance if you have an accident. As annoying as Aircare is, it's better to play by the rules.
Does your 63 Nova qualify for Collector plates? If so, you only have to Aircare it once.
Bob

#8 ·
i could put collector plates however i need to have another car as my main transportation. i only drive the nova so no i cant do the collector plates . too bad. the motor is in need of a rebuild which i didnt want to do now but maybe i should. gonna have to get my hands on a 194 how to rebuild book

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.