Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI!

When I did the final inspection on my ring gear before I put the inspection cover on I discovered that a small chip/splinter of the ring gear had come out. (See picture. Not the actually ring gear, just an arrow on a other picture.) The contact surface is not affected only the edge on the ring gear. What should I do? Just smooth out the edges? Replace the gear set. The gear set is brand new and has never been used.

Kalle

http://users.du.se/~h01karso/nova/p3.JPG

·
4,535 Posts
Was there a piece in the diff or just a chip missing? On oem gears we often see them with small chip missing and that is semi normal. I think they just did not take much care w/them before original install. As long as there are no raised edges you should be fine. being that it's oly on 1 tooth and very small.

Miles:D

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
If it's on the end like that just grind the corner flat to completely get rid of it. That way it stands less of a chance of cracking from that point. I've done that before without incident.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
I've dressed up chipped gears using a 3 inch sanding disk with no problems. Use to kill spider gears which chipped up the ring and pinion. Polish the chips and keep on trucking with no problems. JMHO, RM

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
HI!

The gears are Richmond. I will try to take a photo of the ring gear and post it. So I guess I will smooth the edges off, and keep on trucking.

Kalle

1 - 5 of 5 Posts