Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 120 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
Nothing too exciting....first day of Spring = first baby steps at getting back into the groove.....a little etch prime and tomorrow some semi-gloss to match the engine bay paint of the inner fender panels!:D

a little memory of Dad doing a little filler priming when things were clicking!:cool:

Today was a stressful day at work so a little sanity time was needed this evening! Till next time...............Lad

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #102

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #103 (Edited)
Frt Clip Started

Got a weekend to myself and you can accomplish alot when you have no distractions:D That's ok, its a start of hopefully more things to get done on the car in the near future! Of course Dad was there with me in the garage having a beer as I worked!!
Enjoy some progress pictures!!

Copy of the link to The Dad & Lad Build -
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bebop138/library/63 Nova station wagon build#/user/bebop138/library/63 Nova station wagon build?sort=3&page=1&_suid=140477181977405045280750611141

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #104 (Edited)
Got the races pressed into the hubs today so they are ready for when I finish the Rt side of the CBR suspension. Got two new rims for the frt and found some scab roller tires at a local tire shop so I can roll it around in the garage! Slow but steady....steady but slow:yes:
That's all for know folks!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Another Step in the Build

She's hit the ground finally and I plan to get the Ididit Column painted in the near future so I can get that put in to steer it around:D Dad would be proud:yes:

More to come, gotta keep movin ahead and not behind!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
First time its seen the Sun since it was trailered home. Got it outside and backed it in the garage so I can start assembling the doors, wire harness, Dynamat etc. A little excitement keeps the project alive!:D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Been a while...Not doing alot lately except work and kids activities that keeps me tied down. I did take a little road trip this Saturday and picked up a complete set of glass for the wagon, original stuff:D I have many spare pieces of glass and I am going to use the best of all that have for the car. From there I went to Edwards SS (a SNS member) Thanks ED!! place and picked up a restorable Hood off a 62 Nova, have to drill a couple more holes for the 63 Hood bar. The hood I picked up I am hoping is in better shape than the one I have. Started cleaning up the glass today and the qtr glasses appear usable and some side pieces as well. Starting this week I plan on stripping the outer part of hood (3 coats of paint) and cleaning the underside and applying some Bill Hirsch Black Miracle Paint to the underside for the black engine bay appearance. Then I can get the hood fixed and in primer along with finishing the fenders that have been sitting at the shop for the past year...its time to get into the groove and git ur dun.:yes: Till next time...with some pics and progress!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
I have been slowly gathering goodies etc lately....
Ordered the firewall pad, TH350 trans x-member, and low mount alternator bracket from Chev II Only. I now have my New Performer Vortec EPS intake manifold and my Holley Fuel pump. Just went to Auto City Classic this past week (been trying to make the trip for 2 years, things just never worked out due to they are not open weekends) Got the rear quarter windows and tailgate glass made new on the spot, original clear type glass. They can even stamp it L.O.F. like the factory glass for a extra charge! Installed the radiator support and started on the wiring harness. Auto City did not have the "Canada" made gas tank in stock so I will have to order it from them or somewhere else. I Keep slowly getting things done when I have the spare time these days, the kids keep me very busy and i need to enjoy it while I can:D I will keep you Nova folks updated while I can especially the ones following the Dad&Lad build thread. I will try and post some progress pics as well!!
Till next time :yes:
Lad

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Been picking away lately when I get a little time, some of the pics are from early fall to present. Got the rr side windows in and trim around windows, the gaskets I used were the originals from the parts wagon I got. I cleaned them up with lacquer thinner and they worked good and fit perfect. The ones from the big box store -starts with a C, They ended up ripping on one of the corners (it was glued:mad: not even a one piece rubber- Import junk. All door handles are on (OER) and original lock cylinders, fuse block in and wiring routed to back, side mirror hung, tailgate regulator and outer handle installed etc. Also all 4 doors have the door weatherstipping installed. Also have my gas tank and parts,MSD billet dist and coil. Next on the list is get the steering column and shaft in etc. It sure would be nice to get the thing on the road soon to go grab a ice cream cone:D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #110 (Edited)
Been staying on track lately and making steady progress which is good:yes:

Brake lines all in except for rr end, I found a brake tee to attach to my rear flex hose and then I can measure for length for the lines to the rear brake hoses. Fuel line is stubbed in by engine and secured with clamp and I just have to secure the main line to the tank. Fuel tank is in, sender installed and grounded, just have to run a wire from sender to main harness in qtr panel wheel well. Master cylinder installed with prop valve. Brake pedal will be next to do after I get my rubber boot for my brake pushrod, was going to reused old one but too dry-rotted. This thing will have all new everything when Im done. Steering column is in and linkage hooked up to rack, this was tedious for me being my first time plus I used a anti-vibration borgeson joint which is bigger than the CBR supplied on that came in the R&P kit. Frt brake hoses are installed and should be just the right fit thanks to forum members, went with the off the shelf Napa off a Chevy Chevette, 14.25 inch long. Wire harness is in and ran, I will have to go and cleanup the frt light harness and engine harness, I may buy a new one or make my own. I will get the frt brakes and rear brakes hooked up next and then order my engine and send the tranny out for rebuilding..its getting exciting:D
Here are some pics for now..

Here is a link to the build http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bebop138/library/63 Nova station wagon build?sort=3&page=1

More to come soon:thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
Got the engine now and will be sending the tranny out for rebuild-TH350
Just going with the New Goodwrench motor and plans on changing out the cam and adding AFR Heads down the road. Its a good start and I am happy with my decesion, its a good foundation to start with and I can have something to look forward to later. Going with the Edelbrock EPS Performer and a Quick Fuel 580 HR Vac Sec Carb.
Also got the fuel and brake lines all secured now and clamped down etc.
Now I will spruce up the undercarriage with another coat of black miracle paint by Bill Hirsch to cover up the paint overspray that got on the underside. I will keep on truckin on stuff and plan to slide the motor & tranny in before winter:D Maybe this thing will breathe fire soon, we'll see...one day at a time..thats all we can do:yes:

Here are some pics

And here is a photo from way back when the car was being picked up in Cali by Tom Lieb to be stored at his shop until the Car Hauler could bring it home to me. That was Halloween 2011:turn:

Till next time.....Happy Trails!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
This Halloween marks the 5 year anniversary of getting the wagon:yes:
Dad would be proud to see it this far, he would be 68 yrs old..love you Dad, lets get r runnin soon:D
Just about ready to slide the engine and tranny in, just got to do a few things yet and she will be ready to go into the engine bay in the next couple weeks, just got to have a few helping hands. Im going to remove the radiator supt as well to make it easier. Here are a couple pics to show some progress:bounce::bounce:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #113
More Progress:D
Not too much longer before it finds its new home:yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Engine has been installed and it went pretty smooth for the most part:yes:
Great to have good neighbors and friends, we all enjoyed it.
I was able to install my brake pedal assembly earlier in the day before they came over after the Lions game-of course they lost...hah
The tranny dipstick just has to be secured and I need to run the hard lines from the TH350 to the radiator supt area. Before I put the engine in I did decide to notch the lt inner fender panel where the engine mount goes, wanted the reassurance that no rubbing would happen in that area (steering DD rod and borgeson joint) A buddy of mine gave me his carb with not even 500 miles on it, its been sitting in a box but it should cleanup good and I plan on running it when I get the car going -too good of deal to pass up:yes: 670 street avenger .
Plan is to keep making progress on the car and more updates to follow:yes: Wish you were here Dad, I know your watching:D

Here is a link to the build http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bebop138/library/63 Nova station wagon build?sort=3&page=1

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Been a while...I have been tinkering since last time but havent made a post:no:

Radiator Support installed and Front LS brakes completed. Rear brakes are installed too with hoses but no hard lines ran to rear brake tee yet. Got my Alumitech radiator from Universal Parts Inc installed, 7 blade flex fan 17 incher with 2 inch spacer. Alternator and brkt installed and v-belts are sized up. The Powermaster mini starter is installed and have more parts to start installing soon.
Here are some progress pictures, more to come soon.:D
Thanks for following the build
Lad

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
Been a while once again:yes:

Since last posting I got my driveshaft installed, battery tray and battery, cables ran, some wiring too. Today I finally bled the master cylinder on the car, went smoothly. Then I proceeded to hook up the lines to the master and bleed the entire system. I used the empty small bottle trick with some clear 3/16 hose and added some fluid a quarter full. I was able to do it all by myself too but did have a couple little girls help pump the brakes (Dad would be proud of his little granddaughters:D) I ended up going around the car 2-3 times. Of course I had to have some leaks too along the way, none at the master cylinder but had several other areas to address. The only area Im not sure of is my rear caliper has a bad bleeder, the fitting to the caliper is a bad fit. Other than that I have a pretty firm pedal and I will watch for drips the next few days. Next in line is to get the shifter mounted and linkage hooked up, then its time to fire up the engine. If I get lucky it may happen in the next few weeks. Got to round up a few Ole timers to help:cool:

Till next time, Happy Trails!

Lad

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Hello all who have been following the build since the start!!

Quick update before the year is over. Got the car started and running briefly. It sounded good for the 10 seconds it ran. I will run it and break it in come spring. Thanks for the help from a childhood friend and his old man who are both GM guys:yes: It was a long time coming but it happened and will post more when time permits. Been busy at work and fixing up other beaters (new junk) so haven't been wrenching much on the old wagon.
Happy new year!!!
Lad

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #118

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #119
Its been a while.....Just been working on getting all the doors, tailgate completed with all glass and hardware installed. Got the windshield put in today. Fenders and Hood will be painted soon and then finish putting together. Still needs subframe connectors welded in and then get the exhaust done. Drove it today a little but I need to hook up the vacuum to the trans modulator, it wont shift until I get that done. Lots done this year due to the craziness going on!! I will post again soon!
Lad

Reactions: BLYOTH
101 - 120 of 121 Posts