Chevy Nova Forum banner

81 - 100 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Tonite I got the car ready for blocking the roof and paint. I took out the steering column and removed the front clip. Had to torch the pitman arm because no matter what I tried the damn thing would not seperate. I welded a couple of pegs with some casters and bolted them on and dropped the car down. Should be all set for the "Lad".

Houston we have seperation!

·
Registered
867 Posts
The "Lad" started blocking the roof and I got the firewall all scuffed for paint. Who is that masked man?

·
Registered
867 Posts
Did some prep work today----got the rest of the front clip apart. Will need to weld a small patch by the battery tray and fill in a strip on the radiator support where they cut out a piece by the hood release---must of had an issue opening the hood? A few parts left over.......Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Today we got the firewall etched and primed and I repaired a rust hole by the battery tray, plus repaired the cut out piece on the rad support.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Today I thought the wagon needed some tan time----first time out of the garage since 10-31-11---I think she enjoyed it:rolleyes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
No pics---just the same look, but the roof had it`s final coat of primer, so the whole main body is ready for the shop----just a light roughing up to ready it for final color and get it seam sealed.....very close for for the fun stuff...:yes::D:yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
The "Lad" will be coming tomorrow to keep finishing the final sanding before finish paint. It seems it will never be ready (but he is really very close) While he is doing his thing I have been getting all the parts and machining done for the LS front brake conversion. I have the brackets from CBR---got the upper boss area on the spindle machined down for the bracket. The spacers are only used if you have a disc brake spindle.

We are using a stock spindle and hub (non-disc). The upper bolt for the bracket is the old bolt from the front drums ( idea came from Nova 404) I just made a slight improvement on the bolt---pic of what they look like before turning it down.

To fit the upper bolt-boss area on the spindle my guy made the hole larger on the CBR bracket so the shoulder would fit the hole snug--like factory--no slop.

We are going to make the shoulder longer to go in deeper on the spindle. Pic shows that you need to do this.

On the hub--rotor side...there was a very slight ridge on mine that needed to be taken down to fit the center hole on the rotor---could not tell you if this is common all hubs and maybe some rotors are different on the hole diameter---something to check---plus I had the face of the hub cleaned up on a brake lathe to true up the surface---mine had a very slight wobble when you put it inside the rotor---ya don`t want that---check the pic for the ridge.
Pic of the rotor.

Get all parts preped and painted--new races and bag up the pieces for later assembly. Good brakes are a must in my book.

·
Registered
867 Posts
The "Lad" got some time in at his shop to get the front clip painted---he etched,primed and chassis black paint---Thursday hope to have the seam sealer all done and if he says it`s a go---I get it to his shop for final paint.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Went on a road trip today and picked up a set of trim for the tailight&tailgate...good pieces--some small dings---will drop them off to be repaired. Finally got the correct lenght wheel studs that we need for the center caps the "Lad" wanted---1 3/4 inch long--1/2x20---Dorman# 610-258---they work well for the wheel nuts you need to mount the center cap. Here is a pic of the trim.........Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
WE HAVE COLOR-----the "Lad" got two doors painted tonite---it is a light blue from a Mini Cooper---long time a coming:yes::yes::yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #91 (Edited)
Been ordered to duty at 630 hrs Sat 11-24-12 for manuvers in the paint booth. Objective is cover this vehicle with a Mini Cooper Lt blue to match his commanding officers eyes---geeeezzzzzz::rolleyes:----THIS is it folks---the BIG day---i don`t think he("Lad") will even sleep to-nite:yes::turn::yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
The day has come ---PAINT:yesfirst pic shows me before dawn showing up--the "Lad" was 10 minutes late--pics taping everything off---and his co-worker Craig and the "Lad"---Craig is the painter where he works---he did the honors. Then the pics of primer sealer--first color on the roof and final colors on the car---the "Lad" picked the colors.....more to come:yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
The "Lad" has been busy---got the car all wet sanded and buffed out---and the doors hung---almost looking like a car again:yes: If things go well it should be leaving the shop Friday to go home to his place. He can do some more at home this winter---back to our place when the CBR truck comes with his front end........pics

And a pic to remind us what we started with:yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
The "Lad" has started on the fenders and modified them on the front fender lip. Opened the radius slightly to accomodate the larger tire---then all will be the same size---235-45.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
The "Lad" has been busy with my Grandkids---so progress has been slow---a little more work on one of the fenders:yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
Finishing the project for you Dad, from the "Lad"

Hello to all members that have followed the Dad&Lad Nova build in “Nova Projects” or some of you that have dealt with or got to know my Dad. He had a heart attack late part of December 2012. He made it after his heart attack and they put a stint in the one artery.
He couldn’t have by-pass when he was there at the hospital because of the stint they put in, it had to heal for at least 6 weeks. During the six week period he was home he was still able to tinker with his own stuff and with the Nova a bit. Then came his by-pass surgery about mid-Feb and he was scheduled for a triple or a quad bypass surgery. He had the by-pass done and he made it through the surgery but shortly after the surgery while in the ICU he went code blue, his heart went into fibrillation and they couldn’t bring him back. I haven’t had the ambition to write about it until now. He was only 65 and it happened so fast and I am still shocked to this day. I am glad we decided to do this project Dad&Lad which we started back on Halloween 2011 when the car arrived in the driveway on a trailer from CA. We spent every Thursday nite together working in the garage on it up until around Thanksgiving 2012 when the car was painted. My Dad told me that he worked on the car for 90 days straight after the car first came home on Halloween night, (after work of course). Who would of thought we wouldn’t finish the project together? All I can say is that life is a precious thing that we should not take for granted and I was fortunate enough to have him around up until recently. He has had a heart condition since I was young and the way I look at it is he could have gone along time ago so I cherish the memories and am so glad we got to start another Nova project this past year and were able to spend some quality Dad & Lad time together. I will greatly miss him he was not only my father but also my best friend, may he “Rest in Peace” I know he would want me to finish the project we started, so myself with a very limited budget will do so. I know I will have plenty of questions & parts to purchase as I go on with the build so any help from fellow members would be greatly appreciated!

God Bless!
Updates will be posted as they come as we finish the build.

1963Warwagon2
Dad&Lad

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #97 (Edited)
Back on track..couple updates!

Started on the fenders again and one is close to being ready for primer! Got a parts wagon that I have been selling parts off of.

The garage is cleaned out and ready for the frt suspension to be installed!
I cant focus and do work on the car when the garage is a mess so I put up a shed in the backyard to get rid of all the garden tools,anything with wheels and the kids toys. Now im ready to get on track on the project!:D

Notice the rainbow over the shed, I took that on Father's Day...Dad was watching over the shed!!

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #98 (Edited)
Been busy with the parts wagon, finally got it out of the garage:yes: Nuthin like smellin moth balls and mices for the past few months:eek:
Just finished pulling all the guts out of the last 2 door shells on the drivers side I couldnt get off the car and just have headliner bows and misc dash knobs and heater/blower fan assy and its ready for the scrap heap in the sky:yes:
Also a decesion was made on what frt suspension I will be using and of course its CBR all the way! Ive spoken to Chuck and weve got it figured out, it makes the most sense and I know it will fit and function and has been proven on many other cars. Ordered up some other wheels so now I have options, they are 2012 Dodge Charger 17 inch alloys 17x7 with 5 1/8 backspace. Will update as time allows, things are cooking though and the weather is nice..gotta go..gotta go...

Car Craft this weekend..looking forward to it:yes:

Here is a link to the build
http://s253.photobucket.com/user/bebop138/library/63 Nova station wagon build

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #99
Hello, Hello :woot:

Been way too busy to even do anything lately, got hit with a hail storm first week of August:snow: and have been too:beat: up to even think! I got plenty to keep me busy on the car so hopefully when things slow down in the next month or so I can gets out to the garage for a little sanity and post some progress pics again! I will hope and :pray: and we will see what happens:yes:

Until then....T.T.F.N.

:waving:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Its been a while again:yes: I think there is a reason I didnt start putting the frt end on the wagon..Too many below zero days....fifty of them this winter in my neck of the woods:eek: And I came across the new Set up CBR has for sale

I havent looked forward to the coil over set up I had before because I didnt want to grind and hack away at my freshly painted inner fenders, now the installation will be just like factory...bolt and go plus they have more shock travel and are supposedly the best setup they have put together since CBR has been around:D I am now looking forward to getting my full CBR frt end on the car finally and getting some new future posts with the progress being made. Dad will be glad too once I finally take the next step:D
Till next time:thumbsup:

link to build http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/h...wagon build/

81 - 100 of 121 Posts