Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My son and I are doing a 63 wagon we bought from Calif. We are hoping it will be here by the end of the month---this is a re-run of the 63 SS we did for him 20+ years ago---just longer to hold the grand kids. Will have progress reports and pics.........Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Latest update---car has been picked up today in Calif.---should be home by Monday-Tues. My son has got on the forum also-(63warwagon2) there could be some father-son bantering as time goes on----could be interesting:D---there will be build pics as soon as I figure out how to transfer them from photobucket. Or maybe junior could do this as my computer skills are weak---Happy Trails.............Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just another small update--we have decided to go with a 2006 Caddy 6.0 LS engine with the 4L60E tranny---will be getting this delivered soon. Unchartered waters for me as the old dog---sonny boy may fair a little better. I do most of the mechanical stuff--he does the body work. Check the pics on photobucket, new pics will be put on as things progress....

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We went to a Nova vendor in Big Lake MN and picked up some sheet metal for repairing and pass. rear door----along with some decent seats for a driver when we first hit the road----they are good enough for re-upolstering when the time comes too. The red seats and gold door are the only color as of the moment----more later.....Lee http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/bebop138/63 Nova station wagon build/

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We made a decision tonite on the roof repair---going to replace the back section of roof--rear pillars---about 40 inches. Tube the pillars, weld some around the drip rail and glue the rest.The section is laying on top of the roof. Check out the other pics in the album to see how bad the roof was in the back.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Some shots of the new roof---getting close to tacking it in place---sure looks better than the old section. Got a little ahead of myself:mad---the splice I should have drilled the holes in it and welded from the bottom---well I will do this on the back side. You can see by the recent pic I will have a little more grinding to do. Just a little more tweeking and the final welding---should be done before the weekend.............Leehttp://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/bebop138/63%20Nova%20station%20wagon%20build/

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the roof tacked in place tonite---Dad&Lad and buddy Denny took turns welding the roof in place---not quite finished--getting there. Pic of myself (left) the Lad (center) and good bud Denny on the right. Check out my photobucket album for more pics...........Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We cut into the pillars and took of the top layer of sheet metal. The Lad worked tonite on drilling out the spot welds on the replacement pieces so we can start to install those.Look at the album on photobucket for updates.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Started to cut and fit the patch pieces we had for the front pillars---hoping to get these done this week if time permits. Here is a shot of the pass side with the new piece---will get it bead blasted,painted and ready to be welded in.....Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Still working on replacing the skins on the front door pillar and started to remove the skin on the tailgate area where the hinge is. Took off the doors and front fenders and sending them with the Lad to his shop. Did find out the history by the ID tag---built--first week Dec---ChevyII 400 wagon--made in Oakland Ca.---Blue vinyl interior--paint---silver blue---well it ain`t gonna have them dar colors when she`s done:D............Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally putting some sheet metal back on for a change----we got the front pillars done and the rear pillars are all welded now----time for some grinding---long way to go yet, but wer gettin there!!!:yes:

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Finished the last patch on the roof tonite----the rear roof section---the front patching of the pillars---the small patch on the roof pass side---rear pillars welded together----finally that part is done-----on to the tailgate area for patch work. After that some patching of the floor on the pass side---both lower rear quarters need replacing---then the main body will be done. The Lad will do the doors,fenders,hood,tailgate at his body shop. The main body will be done at home and preped for primer----getting a little ahead of myself:D Check out the progress at http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/bebop138/63 Nova station wagon build/

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well the Lad came home tonite and we worked on the wagon----got the patch piece done on the tailgate area and all the grinding of the roof and pillars. On to the floors and rear quarters............Lee

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Engine and tranny showed up today:D---early Christmas present---2006--6.0 Caddy engine----could be awhile before it gets in the engine bay----good to see it home---good incentive to keep the project on track.

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thursday nite we got the tailight buckets repaired and the long metal strip removed and cleaned up for the new piece----goes along the bottom edge---holds the weatherstrip in place. Saturday I got to repairing the pass side floor pan----I used the section of the old roof and cut out some pieces for repair---had some weak spots on top of the sub frame---will have that done Sunday. No sense wasting good metal---saved a few bucks to boot---take a look at the pics on photobucket......Lee http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/bebop138/63 Nova station wagon build/

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No pics this time----ordered the sub-frame connectors from Global West---liked the set-up, no altering the floor and the E-brake cable doesn`t have to be moved----spent three hours wire wheeling bolts--AAAAAAGGGGGGGGGG drove me nuts:turn: a lot of stuff wasn`t marked, so we will figure as we go what goes where---have to decide on the front end----clip---half clip or? Thanks for lookin............Dad&Lad:D

·
Registered
867 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Latest is the " LAD " has the tailgate repaired and in primer---first of many pieces to be resurected. The lower rear quarters have been ordered from Classic Industries----we also swapped compressors so we can get more done. His is a 5hp-dual stage-60 gal-220V---got to run the DA to get that metal shinny and ready for primer. More pics on photobucket--have a look:yes: http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh63/bebop138/63 Nova station wagon build/

1 - 20 of 121 Posts