Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to put heads back on and I noticed this... a cone shaped scuff on the header side of #1 cylinder... How concerned should I be about this??

Automotive tire Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive design Rim

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The last time the heads were off is when I put it together 10 years ago. It is stock bore. I don't believe it has ever been decked. Was checked out by machine shop before I assembled. Just wasn't sure what to make of this...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok--Looked at the rest of the cylinders and they all have similar signs of wear like picture above...Not terrible but wear like you might expect from a 43 yr old block--actually for 7 years it sat on a shop floor. --so 36 yrs. It didn't smoke so I guess its not too bad...yet! Perhaps a new engine is in store down the road but for now it looks like the best path forward is to re-assemble what I've got. Open to any comments. I appreciate everyone's input!

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Ok--Looked at the rest of the cylinders and they all have similar signs of wear like picture above...Not terrible but wear like you might expect from a 43 yr old block--actually for 7 years it sat on a shop floor. --so 36 yrs. It didn't smoke so I guess its not too bad...yet! Perhaps a new engine is in store down the road but for now it looks like the best path forward is to re-assemble what I've got. Open to any comments. I appreciate everyone's input!
can you feel anything at the wear locations in the cylinders that's inconsistent with the remaining unmarked portions or is it a notable smoothness in just those areas? Any way to get a clearer picture with a close-up and good lighting so we can see what it looks like a bit better?

·
Premium Member
Serious southern boy living in Jax Fl.
4,276 Posts
Deck plates, squaring the block, balancing connecting rods end to end, roller cams. All of these were considered overkill just a few years ago. (I'm old, maybe more than a few years ago) If you want an engine right and durable there are proper procedures that need to be performed.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
can you feel anything at the wear locations in the cylinders that's inconsistent with the remaining unmarked portions or is it a notable smoothness in just those areas? Any way to get a clearer picture with a close-up and good lighting so we can see what it looks like a bit better?
I will check that out later today...

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Deck plates, squaring the block, balancing connecting rods end to end, roller cams. All of these were considered overkill just a few years ago. (I'm old, maybe more than a few years ago) If you want an engine right and durable there are proper procedures that need to be performed.
Depends on what you're looking for I guess and how much money you want to put into it... Limited usage and (I'm old too :)) Maybe I should start driving like someone my age too! That should help promote durability. :)

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I checked all 8 cylinders and could not feel any finger nails catches...walls feel smooth. Here are pictures of #s 2.4.6.8 (I have never won any photography contests)

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Rim

Automotive tire Tire Wheel Alloy wheel Motor vehicle

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Product Alloy wheel

If you start driving like someone your age, you will be run off the road like I am.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
If you can't feel anything I wouldn't be too worried about it. You could always get the piston as far down the hole as possible and run a ball hone in the cylinders. If I did that I would put something on top of the piston to catch anything that fell into the cylinder. I would also rotate the pistons up and down a few times to make sure everything was as clean as possible. If you have a ring squaring tool you could install a ring into the cylinder where the mark is and make sure there isn't any wear in that area of the bore where the shading is. It's probably nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I checked all 8 cylinders and could not feel any finger nails catches...walls feel smooth. Here are pictures of #s 2.4.6.8 (I have never won any photography contests)

#2 View attachment 426573

#4 View attachment 426574

View attachment 426575

View attachment 426576

Here's #s 1,3,5,7
If you can't feel anything I wouldn't be too worried about it. You could always get the piston as far down the hole as possible and run a ball hone in the cylinders. If I did that I would put something on top of the piston to catch anything that fell into the cylinder. I would also rotate the pistons up and down a few times to make sure everything was as clean as possible. If you have a ring squaring tool you could install a ring into the cylinder where the mark is and make sure there isn't any wear in that area of the bore where the shading is. It's probably nothing to worry about.
Someone suggested the dark area is on the spark plug side of the cylinder gets discolored because it gets hotter on that side... Also, pictures taken before I cleaned everything up better including chasing the bolt hole threads..

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wonder what that's from... Hmmm... Almost like ring end gaps are all aligned wrong possibly... Cylinder wash... Maybe someone else here can shed some more light. Looks like wash to me...
A few weeks ago I rebuilt carb and put bigger jets in... WAY too rich so I changed them back... Maybe that could have had some impact on this.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
A few weeks ago I rebuilt carb and put bigger jets in... WAY too rich so I changed them back... Maybe that could have had some impact on this.
Could well be the culprit!! Here's what it is by definition. As @g2072 stated, it would be a good idea to get some cross-hatching back in those bores to help ring seal and break-in. It's a good idea if you plan on having this motor last for any significant time.

It doesn't look terrible though so not much to fix it. A ring squared in the bore to see any light will help between the wall and the ring in those shiny areas and it will certainly let you know if you should buckle it back up and run it after a good dingle-ball or 3-stone hone or tear it apart for a rebuild.

~Andy

·
Registered
893 Posts
If you have it down to the shortblock, you could knock all the pistons out and hone as suggested above, then clean the cylinders thoroughly (I use a light oil and Scotts toilet paper). Then you'd know all your ring gaps are right and you could check all the bearing clearances while you're at it. I'd inspect the bearings and if they don't look good, I'd turn the crank and replace the bearings. Id would probably replace rings too. Especially if ring gaps are large.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Unfortunately to get the pan off I would need to pull the engine (& trans). It was running way too rich for about a week recently before I switched back to smaller jets in carb. . Engine has probably less than 10,000 miles since I rebuilt 10 yrs ago. At that time, I had crank checked, cleaned and polished and block checked. And, of course new rings, & bearings. Bearing clearances at the time were well within spec at the time. At that point crank and cylinders were good. Currently no knocking or smoking...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts