Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I decided to check my cranking pressure. I took out all my spark plugs and tested every cylinder twice. This is what I came up with:
Cylinder 1 195 Cylinder 2 210
Cylinder 3 195 Cylinder 4 215
Cylinder 5 200 Cylinder 6 215
Cylinder 7 190 Cylinder 8 210

I found this to be kind of strange. Any idea what could cause one side of the engine to be that much more than the other. Also is this going to change the performance of this quite a bit?

·
Registered
375 Posts
It's not unusual for a stock engines deck height to be .010 to .015 different from one bank to the other. They also can be tilted front to back. You could also have one cylinder head that was milled more than the other. Unless your motor was fully blueprinted, in which case it's something else. The difference you have won't hurt anything. They say if they're all within 10% (20psi) you're ok for the street.

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
It's not unusual for a stock engines deck height to be .010 to .015 different from one bank to the other. They also can be tilted front to back. You could also have one cylinder head that was milled more than the other. Unless your motor was fully blueprinted, in which case it's something else. The difference you have won't hurt anything. They say if they're all within 10% (20psi) you're ok for the street.

Dead on! Bingo!

AL

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It is a 69 327 I am pretty sure the block has never been milled. The heads have been milled and like you said one could have been done a little more than the other. I wasnt sure if it could have been a leaking intake gasket on one side.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
If your 327 has a mechanical cam the valve lash may be off,,loose on the high comp ones and tight on the low comp ones :bored: Just a thought.

RED67:devil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts