Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys this is my first thread:), I just recently aquired this Nova, it used to be a drag car. The guys before me cut out the 1/4 panels on both sides so there is a nasty gap between the outer sheetmetal and the inner wheel well. How can I close this off and seal it up?? I do own a mig welder but I'm no expert welder!

Check out these pics at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3879911/1

·
Registered
108 Posts
^x2
If the rest of the quarter is good you could find patches and weld them in. If there is rust and major dents in existing 1/4's I would probably replace the complete quarter.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Hmmmmm big patch

tho you can do it with the mig.

It looks like a 4 dr. donor will work and be sure to get a good protion of the wheelhouse with it, if not the whole outer wheelhouse. The outer wheelhouse is available new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
so if I strip the inner wheel housing off a parts car, will it come out far enough to reach the outer sheet metal?

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
You'll definately need the outer wheelhousing. If you can find a parts car, you can take the whole wheel housing or just cut out a patch from it. Say maybe a couple inches about the lip. Then get it lined up where it needs to be on your wheelhouse and trace it on, cut out what's to be removed, and weld on your patch. Same for the 1/4 panel. I would just cut out the wheel opening a couple inches beyond the lip and do the same. Trace it on, cut, and weld. Play around with that welder a bit before tackling any of this though. Get used to burning together the thin sheet metal without warping it before you start on the car. I was a total newbie a year ago. Now my car is almost completed. Just take your time. It'll come together just fine.

·
Registered
793 Posts
1/4 panel

If you are not running big tires it would still be good idea to find those factory looking mini tubs for the inner fenderwell it will give you all the matrial you want to make it "reach" and find the wheel opening patch panel to repair the outer I dont know what they sell for repop parts for the first gen like everybody says take your time

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I kinda like the nostalgia look of cut open 1/4's, Ill probably just get inner wheel wells from my donor car and mig weld it together! thanks guys for all your help!! Time to move on to the next problem, my rear bumper lip!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts