Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
After droping a big ol heavy and high horsepower big block in the nova, i decided it would be best to get some nice sub-frame connectors. I looked online for a while, but everything looked rinky dink. So i went to my friend and fabricator josh and had him weld me up some nice custom subframe connectors. They came out super awesome and look legit. They are beefy and and longer than any other ones i have seen. I think it distributes the weight much better.

Heres a vid showing the underside of my car and them installed!

heres a pic of them done after powdercoating

·
Registered
411 Posts
Those looks real clean! Awesome looking 71 too!:yes:
When I fabbed up mine, the goal was to keep them as low profile as possible. I cut open the passenger floorpan to tuck them up closer, also to add rigidity. I still need to run a section of 2x2 from the subframe connector to the rocker panels. Not trying to hi jack thread, just giving people some ideas for homemade subframe connectors.:thumbsup:

Dan

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ah yes i looked into that design. But i just wanted to make something easier, not everyone wants to cut up the floor or can weld themselves so that would be a much more expensive install. These were pretty easy to make, look clean and do the job. Personally i like the tubular look.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Those are the best looking homemade subframe connectors I've seen! Nice install, I like the tubular look as well. And in your video your drivers door shut very nicely too. So how do they work? Can you honestly tell the difference while driving? I was jacking up my 71 the other day and put a floor jack under the front of the rear leafspring and while raising the car up the door rubber immediately started creaking, I need subframe connectors bad.

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Those are the best looking homemade subframe connectors I've seen! Nice install, I like the tubular look as well. And in your video your drivers door shut very nicely too. So how do they work? Can you honestly tell the difference while driving? I was jacking up my 71 the other day and put a floor jack under the front of the rear leafspring and while raising the car up the door rubber immediately started creaking, I need subframe connectors bad.
I like my bolt on CE's myself. With that being said, you can jack up the car from the spring eye and the whole side of the car will come off the ground, front and rear.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hoestly i havent driven enough with them on to test it. Its been crappy weather here for the past few days after i took the video and got them installed. However, when i was coming home from the shop, i got on it pretty hard through a yellow light in second and smoked the tires through the light. The weight transfer felt better, but then again I cant be sure it was the connectors. But i am also running a big block which is heavier than a 350 and its got a little more power than a stock 350. So i wanted it because i thought the whole front of the car being held on by 4 bolts was kind of crazy. And this strengthens that a good amount.

·
Registered
982 Posts
thats a really good looking connection, thats also a good idea for anyone doing a bolt on connection, those thick plates wrapping the rails would provide an excellent bolt surface.

this is essentially what i plan to do, but with rectangle tubing, prob 2x3, and considering all you get from manufacturers is a bar of tubing anyways, theres no point in buying it, just go to a metal scrap or metal supplier and do it yourself

1 - 8 of 8 Posts