Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen plenty of cars with custom interior. Door panels, headliners, package trays etc.

Seen headliners etc. done with shapes "molded" into them, shapes like the bowtie "chevy symbol" and flames etc...

Others like flowing designs done in different colors of vinyl or leather.

How are these accomplished.:confused: In this area I am an extreem dummy!

·
Registered
348 Posts
yo shade,

i'm a dummy too! that stuff does look cool though. but what i was wondering is what do they use as a backing material, clips etc. i kinda get the shapes idea, at least i think i get it without having tried it. i'm sure it will be a learing experience.

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
i saw a gig on a TV show, i think it was trucks... a blank door panel cardboard with the foam used for under a "pergo" wood floor, cut and spray glued to the board, then covered in extra layer of foam cut like flames or whatever... more spray glue and then with the tool for screen doors (i think would work) the cover material is slowly and carefully layed down forming to all the areas... tool used in close forming areas...

i have some of the foam extra here and gave some to my Friend's kid for his 63 SS... he did his door panels and they came out cool... he used 1/8 venier as door panel blank...

i can send ya some shots Jonesy...

·
Registered
122 Posts
http://community.webshots.com/album/104210593vvQrtF

here is a terrible shot(i'll see if I have better pics....) of the headliner in my old GMC s15 (i traded it and a basket case camaro to get my nova)

In this case I used the original head liner board -pulled off all the old material and foam

covered it in 1/4 inch headliner foam that I bought from a local upoulstry shop

then drew and cut out my flames out of another piece of the same foam

glued it in place

then the hard part:
covering it in material -takes time and patience -

3m super trim adhesive is your friend... 3m general adheasive is good too...
3m super77 is NOT strong enough for this.

hth

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
the Flyer said:
i saw a gig on a TV show, i think it was trucks... a blank door panel cardboard with the foam used for under a "pergo" wood floor, cut and spray glued to the board, then covered in extra layer of foam cut like flames or whatever... more spray glue and then with the tool for screen doors (i think would work) the cover material is slowly and carefully layed down forming to all the areas... tool used in close forming areas...
Shade,

Saw the same episode on Trucks! and think they did something similar on Horsepower TV. From just watching TV, I've noticed there are 2 ways of doing it:

1. Thin foam spray glued to the board with covering material pressed/glued into place over it.

2. Moderately thin foam with covering material over it and your pattern (flames, for example) stitched into the covering.

Can any interior guys/gals shed some insight?

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Fiberglass is also used. The same way woofer boxes are made. I lost my link I had for this. I will search harder for it now. :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
3m super trim adhesive is your friend... 3m general adheasive is good too...
3m super77 is NOT strong enough for this.
Use 3M Super90, it's much stronger. I use it all the time and I glued my father's simulation rag top back on is 89 Eldorado. It's surviving through this New England winter at least.

Headliners are tough because of the concave sculpting. I have had success ripping one out of a late model junkyard car similar in size I need, stripping the headliner and foam off. What you'll have left is the raw shell backing piece that can be trimmed to fit your vehicle. Go to a fabric store or upholstery shop to get the new style headliner material with backing foam attached.

If you want to get really fancy, do what the others are suggesting by drawing and cutting a design onto 1/4" foam sheet and sticking that on the headliner for the embossed look.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
Hey Jeff why dont you contact the member from bamma that posted all of these interior shots a little while back that were out of sight...I believe he did all the work himself...possibly he would share some tips for the DIY'ers...I think his user name is Hot rod...I think:confused:

EDIT..ok I searched it out for ya...Ya his name his Hot Rod and here is a link to one of his posts

http://stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30984

anyway...I would contact him if I were you...:)

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
sorry, i missed the posts asking fer the pics... i get some taken hopefully this weekend and post 'em up...

i'll be BBQin' at his house this weekend... if i don't ferget i'll have 'em up for ya's

but, just in case.....

keep holdin' yer breath ;)

it's stanky :D

1 - 20 of 27 Posts