Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I write this, I'm watching an episode of Street Customs on TV and they're doing a custom console for a '58 Belair wagon that belongs to Rusty Wallace. One of the West Coast employees is building a very nice center console using what appears to be a wood frame. He covered the top in gray leather or vinyl, added custom gauges, electric window switches and a couple of other things. But my question is about the wood used to frame the console. It appears to be really light weight wood...if it is wood, there is no apparent grain to it. Is this a particle board, or what is it?

Thx,

Ed

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Like this?

Particle board with memory foam and then leather wrapped. Add cup holders, led side lights and Nova emblem from the deck lid. Fasten to the floor.

·
Registered
72 Frame off, bare metal resto-mod. 383, TH350, Eaton Posi, Complete new suspension, disk brakes
1,519 Posts
Dusty

It's really dusty to work with and you need sharp blades. For a console you don't need to use the 3/4, 1/2 is plenty.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
MDF will work but it is not exactly light. Usually used for speaker enclosures for its sound density. You could also use some pine which comes in fairly wide pieces, is light and is also pretty cheap.

Has anyone else noticed that MDF is getting harder to find at hardware stores?
Especially in the 2x2' and 2x4' sheets.

·
Premium Member
2,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It's really dusty to work with and you need sharp blades. For a console you don't need to use the 3/4, 1/2 is plenty.
MDF will work but it is not exactly light. Usually used for speaker enclosures for its sound density. You could also use some pine which comes in fairly wide pieces, is light and is also pretty cheap.
Thanks for the info. It'll be awhile before I'm ready to try creating a console.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts