Chevy Nova Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Well, since you asked.

I think it's a terrible idea.
I read this mid sip of my coffee, choked, and coffee shot out of my nose!! Lol :rotfl:

I wont be as harsh and blunt as that, but i can picture you getting half way through cutting up you nova and thinking "wtf have i done..."

I understand you want to do something different. I actually would like to somehow get rid of the B pillars, like a chevelle/camaro, i think it would look super clean.

You can say it's a terrible idea, i wont cry....too much

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
and you want to come over to my house? uh-huh! SUUURE c'mon over! :beat: :devil:
Hahahaha! Hey dont get sad, its not like I can hide it anyway...My car on its best day equates to probably less than the value of your motor sadly....so although I have a cooler body style, you always have the cooler ride:D

I did meet a guy sunday who I walked out of the bank seeing him gawking on my ride, so we started talking and apparently his friend as he claimed just GAVE him a 63, new paint, nice interior...very nice for a gift..I was like yeeeaaaa sure...

Well, sure enough, I went over to his house and there was a gold/brown colored sedan with a 194 sitting in his driveway. Not bad for a gift huh? He said it was factory paint code, but I didnt think factory paint back then offered a metallic brown...or metallic anything.

And Im totally jacking the thread...sorry! I am done. No more talk of free sedans on this thread....Ill make a new one:devil:

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Ive always thought about something like this on a car. Would be cool to drive with the doors open:devil:

My one thought to consider, dont know if this was mentioned before, but keep in mind two things for the future:

What about replacing and servicing parts, would it be easy and economical to do, with replacement parts readily available?

AND! In the unfortunate event of an accident, would this design hinder you or your passengers ability to safely exit the vehicle quickly?

The way I see it; a door on a hinge may be opened if the body is just a little tweaked and you use force. Should the door have to slide all the way down a track to open, there may be a higher possibility of a jam when you need out fast. Dont want to rain all over your parade, cause it sounds awesome, but just food for thought. Expect the best, be prepared for the worst.
I never thought about safety factor not once, I will have to see what happens, good idea

You know what, I like to stay positive and have faith, but after reading Flyers post, he just may have a point.

Moral of the story? It could get *&%@&% up pretty quick...so be sure to practice on a sedan:poke:
As I said, I plan to do an entire mockup on a donor POS first. Probably my old ford

I read this mid sip of my coffee, choked, and coffee shot out of my nose!! Lol :rotfl:

I wont be as harsh and blunt as that, but i can picture you getting half way through cutting up you nova and thinking "wtf have i done..."

I understand you want to do something different. I actually would like to somehow get rid of the B pillars, like a chevelle/camaro, i think it would look super clean.

You can say it's a terrible idea, i wont cry....too much

I plan on doing alot of work and testing before I even make a mark on my car, I definitely don't want to FUBAR it.

As for the B pillar, I actualy thought about that as well last week, and getting a chevelle quarter and door glass, get it modified at this glass shop down the street to fit better in my door/quarter. As the pillar makes each somewhat smaller. It's not a bad idea at al, and I really want to do it as well.

I was also thinking of keeping the pillar, but having it fall into the quarter when you roll the window down, and have the back of the door fall into the shell when you roll that window down.

As for the "it would take a foose to do it" I believe that's an excuse to not try new things. It's the equivalent to saying you must take a class in order to do body work, or welding, or work on an engine. When you don't. People need motivation, not instruction. And I believe I am
Motivated enough to try doing these radical ideas, I know I will have many hours into them, and many frustrations and possibly an amount of money. But that's what testing is for, trial and error. And if I am wrong and it didn't work, maybe I'll try a new idea or maybe I will drop it and leave my results for those to see it didn't work. Wasn't safe, or whatever the result ends up being.

Don't mistake any of that for anger or anything, it's not. And I am used to criticism, and I welcome it as a conversation starter. Like crowd sourcing an idea.

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts
While I applaud your effort and enthusiasm, I have to agree that what you want to do, while not impossible, will take A LOT of trial and error to get even remotely close to an effective end result. There are a lot of engineering challenges that you will come up against.

While I personally don't like the look, if you want a door that doesn't swing out why not look into a lambo style door system? Apart from the rice connotation that this type of system has earned, it is an easy and effective means of getting you to your ultimate goal, that being a door that doesn't swing open but runs alongside the car for tight entry and egress.

John

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Why not do a lambo or gullwing type door. Relocating the hinges achieves what you were looking for as far as accessibility and you are not reinventing the metaphorical wheel.

Not anything that i would Really care to see on a classic chevy but not my car :D

Seems that this would be the easiest most efficient and cheapest way to do what you would like and could probably be done in a weeks time if you were really eager.

The only thing i would be concerned about would be the weight of the door as it pivoted up and it being placed on the roof.... But if the door hinge was pivoted upward instead of out that would not be a problem...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
I was thinking - the gull wing / lambo style hinges might be a starting point for you - i seem to remeber that the motion first starts (from a closed position) to move the door away from the body to enable to big swing / opening - might be the palce to start to save some engineering - then install the "sliding track" in the door itself - maybe as part of the arm rest??

Like you said - idea by comittee...

Good luck with the task...

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
and before you cut up your car... get a donor to take a sawsall to. cut IT up to do the mock ups etc... don't cut up your car until the work actually works...

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Why not do a lambo or gullwing type door. Relocating the hinges achieves what you were looking for as far as accessibility and you are not reinventing the metaphorical wheel.

Not anything that i would Really care to see on a classic chevy but not my car :D

Seems that this would be the easiest most efficient and cheapest way to do what you would like and could probably be done in a weeks time if you were really eager.

The only thing i would be concerned about would be the weight of the door as it pivoted up and it being placed on the roof.... But if the door hinge was pivoted upward instead of out that would not be a problem...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using AutoGuide.com App
gullwing could be a neat idea, i drove a delorean a while back and i have to say driving with the wings up was an experience to be had.

I was thinking - the gull wing / lambo style hinges might be a starting point for you - i seem to remeber that the motion first starts (from a closed position) to move the door away from the body to enable to big swing / opening - might be the palce to start to save some engineering - then install the "sliding track" in the door itself - maybe as part of the arm rest??

Like you said - idea by comittee...

Good luck with the task...
thats a really good idea, it would make the tracks shorter if anything

and before you cut up your car... get a donor to take a sawsall to. cut IT up to do the mock ups etc... don't cut up your car until the work actually works...
thats exactly what i have planned, got an old ford tempo here that seems to be the perfect donor, as it will never see a road again anyways, and i got a spare door for it from pick n pull just in case.

·
Registered
26,336 Posts
I GUESS IN THIS FASHION I'M SOMEWHAT OF A PURIST HERE! I LIKE MY CAR THE WAY IT IS. BUT IF YOU CAN PULL IT OFF, I'D LIKE TO SEE IT! :yes:
I THINK I WOULD GET A DONOR SIDE CLIP OR A WHOLE BEATER TO PRACTICE ON! :yes:

21 - 30 of 30 Posts