Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been thinking about a way to do my doors (68 coupe) in a different way, I plan on shaving my handles, and shaving the side markers on the fenders.

at work this past weekend i was in our shuttle van and was thinking of the sliding door, and though, what if I made the doors slide open, rather than the traditional pivot on the hinge point?

one reason, the same reason our van has sliding side doors and not opening outwards, for space.

I hate parking beside coupes as the doors aregenerally longer and who knows how bit the person is who may need the extra room to get into their car, at the expense of dinging mine.

so i dont want to be that guy, who dings someones car with a long opening door.

anyways, to get to the point, I think I am going to make my doors slide open,similar to how a van opens.

a challenge comes with this idea, door tracks are ugly, and utilitarian, i want a slick and sleek look.

the solution?

act as if the car is sliding on the door. usually rollers are on the door side, and slide on the door track, located on the body.

my way would be having the slide tracks on the door panel, and the rollers on the door jamb on a hinge, the length of the hinge determining how far the door sticks outward.

note* I would have the door slide forward, not backward, leaving more room for passengers to enter the back seats. or load any luggage or anything

it may look odd, but at least i could incorporate the tracks into whatever design on the door panel i have, by matching the paint scheme, or even, design the door panel for the tracks, using the tracks as horizontal lines breaking up whatever pattern i choose to make.

its a lengthy read, i apologize, but I am fairly excited about trying this idea out, and wanted to see what others would think about it

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
There was a car I seen on one of the TV shows a while back and the doors slid forward thru the fenders. It was actually made that way, don't remember what show or what car it was.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1954-kaiser-darrin-dkf161.htm

Sliding doors

A common door design on minivans and commercial vehicles, this list exclude all vehicles categorized as such.

BMW Z1 (the Z1 used unhinged doors that lowered into the chassis)
Kaiser Darrin (Used "pocket doors" that slide forward into the front fender.)
Lincoln Mark VIII Concept (Doors "rolled" into underbody of frame and disappeared from view, much like a blind. Prototype)
Mercedes-Benz NAFA Researchvehicle (A very small car similar to the Smart Fortwo with 2 doors sliding forward.)
Peugeot 1007
Toyota Porte (Only left side.)

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, should the wheels be turned, I think the door would clear should I have it extend outward enough. I need to clear interior bits like armrest, inside door handle and if I keep a manual window crank, so depending on how far the tire sticks out at full turn would be one of the determining factors.

I realize it's a complicated idea, and that doors are a slow evolving part of a car, but I think one reason they are slow to change is that doors just work as they are, it's not something that provides many challenges as it is, you open it and enter. Simple. I just thought it may provide a look, IF DONE RIGHT, that would look and feel unique and interesting.

I didn't think it's that terrible an idea, I mean, I'm not putting Lambo doors on it.

And I realize not everyone will like it, I plan to do an immense amount of mock up work on something else to see it and make sure I would even like it.

·
5,143 Posts
I'm all for new ideas but if you have ever worked on a sliding van door that was out of adjustment you would shelf this idea fast.
I think it would be hard to make it sturdy enough without looking bulky.

·
Premium Member
956 Posts
Just gettin a grip of things.

Doors will pop out, then slide forward towards the front bumper?

You want this to happen without having an opening or any kind? (vans have the track visible, cut out in the 1/4)

Striker and latch will need to be moved to the front where the hinges are now.

Track will need to be built on the inside of the door, might possibly do it in a way to make it look like a full length arm rest. Roller will need to be mounted where the hinges are now and will need to be collapsable.

Track made onto the rocker with a roller on the lower rear of the door. That track will need to bend back into the 1/4 and the jamb will need 2 holes and the door 2 studs that will fit together when closed.

You could add a double hing to the rear of the upper track to let the door come out at an angle and the track would roll into the fender, might have to cutout the inner fender.

It can be done but it would be a massive amount of work.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just gettin a grip of things.

Doors will pop out, then slide forward towards the front bumper?

You want this to happen without having an opening or any kind? (vans have the track visible, cut out in the 1/4)

Striker and latch will need to be moved to the front where the hinges are now.

Track will need to be built on the inside of the door, might possibly do it in a way to make it look like a full length arm rest. Roller will need to be mounted where the hinges are now and will need to be collapsable.

Track made onto the rocker with a roller on the lower rear of the door. That track will need to bend back into the 1/4 and the jamb will need 2 holes and the door 2 studs that will fit together when closed.

You could add a double hing to the rear of the upper track to let the door come out at an angle and the track would roll into the fender, might have to cutout the inner fender.

It can be done but it would be a massive amount of work.
the collapsible hinges, would be made with pins similar to a doors hinge pins,

the track on the van door we have at work is on the 1/4, and it curves around into the door jamb and body, the roller for that track, is fixed to the door, and it simply follows the track into the body.

i drew up a similar design, using the contour of the door shell, using 2 sets of fixed rollers (would need to be a pretty specific distance sticking out, not too far, not far enough etc) run the track down the length of the door and at the front, the track would curve towards where the door skin is crimped and welded to the shell.

a third track, would be integrated into the rocker panel, this would have two sets of rollers, one on the rear of the door, with a pin to a connecting rod, also pinned to the roller. a stopper in the track would be placed the connecting rods length forward from the rear of the door. this way, the connecting rod swings in, as the front rollers start riding on the curved track at the front door jamb and the door latches (one at front and one back) hit their strikers and secure the door.

the second roller on the bottom track, is fixed to the front of the rocker panel, and rollers into the track on the bottom of the door.

similar to a computer desk has a track on the keyboard table, and a track on the side of the desk, and each has its rollers.

this third track would act as stability. a 3 point contact system. van doors only have one track and a roof rail. this would have 3 full on tracks.

and i have figured the holes in jamb and pins in door, exactly the same as a van has.

the fact its a massive amount of work is one of the reasons i would like to do it. i dont think it would look bad on a third gen, especially with shaved handles, and side markers, i think it would be very unique.

i plan on rigging up an idea on a juink car first, i want this nova up and running asap, and once i get the design nailed down, ill do it over a winter, and do it perfectly.

one last thing, i brought this up with a teacher yesterday, and the next day he brought in rollers and tracks from the numerous vans he has at his farm, and we spent two hours after school drawing up ideas on the board, and each and every one of these concerns has been brought up (stability and alignment, where rollers are, how it falls together etc.)

and he said if we get it running on a junk car well enough he will do it to his 44 ford

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm all for new ideas but if you have ever worked on a sliding van door that was out of adjustment you would shelf this idea fast.
I think it would be hard to make it sturdy enough without looking bulky.
if its too bulky im ditching the idea, the one major point is i can dig into the door shell as im shaving my handles, the whole door assembly for opening the latches will be very compact and out of the way.

i plan on doing it mocked up on a door i picdked up from pick n pull and i will make a mock door jamb to assemble it on.

this is in many months, depending on what i get done before this winter, it may wait until next year before i even get a mock up done. but once i get going on it, i plan to document it here regardless if it works or not.

·
5,143 Posts
if its too bulky im ditching the idea, the one major point is i can dig into the door shell as im shaving my handles, the whole door assembly for opening the latches will be very compact and out of the way.

i plan on doing it mocked up on a door i picdked up from pick n pull and i will make a mock door jamb to assemble it on.

this is in many months, depending on what i get done before this winter, it may wait until next year before i even get a mock up done. but once i get going on it, i plan to document it here regardless if it works or not.
I think you are on the right track by putting the track in the door (no pun intended)
Remember that the first attempt isn't always the best so don't get frustrated.

·
Registered
5,681 Posts
It ll be one h*ck of a project tho.......

Would be interesting to see in person :yes:

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
here's my 2 cents on the subject...

:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:​

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:​

That looks like more than 2 cents.

Care to elaborate? Concerns/thoughts? Or do you just not think the end result would look good?

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
you'd have 10 billion dollars worth of man hours invested and probably find it's above your skill level... it would take a Foose or someone comparable to do the job correctly.

it's a far fetched pipe dream... forget it and don't waste your time...

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
Ive always thought about something like this on a car. Would be cool to drive with the doors open:devil:

My one thought to consider, dont know if this was mentioned before, but keep in mind two things for the future:

What about replacing and servicing parts, would it be easy and economical to do, with replacement parts readily available?

AND! In the unfortunate event of an accident, would this design hinder you or your passengers ability to safely exit the vehicle quickly?

The way I see it; a door on a hinge may be opened if the body is just a little tweaked and you use force. Should the door have to slide all the way down a track to open, there may be a higher possibility of a jam when you need out fast. Dont want to rain all over your parade, cause it sounds awesome, but just food for thought. Expect the best, be prepared for the worst.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
you'd have 10 billion dollars worth of man hours invested and probably find it's above your skill level... it would take a Foose or someone comparable to do the job correctly.

it's a far fetched pipe dream... forget it and don't waste your time...
You know what, I like to stay positive and have faith, but after reading Flyers post, he just may have a point.

Moral of the story? It could get *&%@&% up pretty quick...so be sure to practice on a sedan:poke:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts