Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have one the Custom Auto Sound radios in my '70 Nova....it's rated 100 watts. I am assuming this means 25 watt per speaker?
Reason for asking is I am replacing the front 4x6 kick panel speakers and was looking for guidance in what watt speaker to purchase.
AG

·
6,502 Posts
Since there are no power rating standards fully in place most manufacturer's rate the internal power output of radio's a little high. Most of the time I tell customer's the 25 watt per channel is actually closer to 15 watts. Think of it this way. If you do buy a true 100 watt x 4 radio then why is a raw 4 channel amplifier rated the same have twice as large a chassis as the radio and it doesn't have a radio tuner or CD player assembly in it ?. Amplifiers make heat and the larger the power output the larger the heat sinks have to be as well as the power supplies. Most full range amplifiers are are around 60-75% effecient which means 25-40% is heat output and have other losses.

As far as speaker choice, buy a name brand that has been out there a while. Steer away from the pawn shop type speakers like Boss, Power acoustic, etc.. I would also try and listen to the speakers to narrow down your choices. All speakers will sound different and you as a person will hear different things or want to hear different things in your music choices. More is not always better. Some two ways sound better than three or four ways.
I would find a speaker that can handle 25 watts or more this way if later you do buy a larger amplifier and wire it to them they can handle the power.

Since most smaller speakers cannot reproduce a lot of bass volume you may want to add a basic high pass filter inline on the speaker wires to filter out the low bass.

Jim

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim, thanks for feedback.
So if I get speakers rated at, say, 60 amps I should be ok?
Also, what is the difference in a speaker rated two way?
I'll follow up your informtion concerning the base.......I would like to have a little more base than what I currently have.
AG

·
Premium Member
409 Posts
Try here for some definitions..http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/audio_glossary.jsp

Speakers are rated in watts not amps, so you want something that will handle your maximum power, so it does not saturate and distort, but you also don't want one rated too high in power or it will never turn on.

Bass is the low frequency part of the audio spectrum so if you like more bass then the speakers need to be rated at those frequencies. In any event they should atleast match the frequency output of the radio.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
67pete said:
Try here for some definitions..http://www.bose.com/controller?event=VIEW_STATIC_PAGE_EVENT&url=/learning/audio_glossary.jsp

Speakers are rated in watts not amps, so you want something that will handle your maximum power, so it does not saturate and distort, but you also don't want one rated too high in power or it will never turn on.

Bass is the low frequency part of the audio spectrum so if you like more bass then the speakers need to be rated at those frequencies. In any event they should atleast match the frequency output of the radio.
Hey Pete.......thanks
I meant to say watts.......this arms me with enough info to make a logical choice when picking out speakers.
AG

1 - 5 of 5 Posts