Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just read an article about how cup holders have become a standard feature in cars over the last 30 years and that got me thinking. I have always wondered about the circular depressions on the back side of the glove box door where the tire pressure sticker sits. Were these designed to function as cup holders or is it just a coincidence? I know they won't hold squat when you turn and the car rolls from side to side but the golve box door does sit level when open kind of like a tray on an airplane. Anyone else ever thought the same thing?

·
Registered
571 Posts
Back in 1990 when I bought my 63 nova I noticed the same impressions in the glove box door and thought the same thing?? Cup holders!

·
13,810 Posts
Yes, they were the first cup holders, or probably better described as cup indentations. Just checked my 63 owners manual and under glove box it states, 'when open, the glove box door serves as a platform for cups and glasses.' Only useful when the car is parked that's for sure.

Bob

·
Registered
269 Posts
Classic Industries sells a cup holder that goes in your ash tray. But its ugly its a piece of wood covered in black carpet with two black abs pipe for cup holders for about 40 dollars with tax.

·
Premium Member
4,125 Posts
Those were mostly for convenience while at drive in movies. ...whatever THOSE are:rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Ive always just put the beer between my legs, gotta make sure to sip off the first inch and point the hole forward.. LOL JUST KIDDING!!! Havent done that since they made it illegal to drink and drive back in the 80s when I turned 18 :) JR

Oh, and now I ride in my wifes new toyota sequoia. Has 8 cup holders, no kidding. I can walk around the thing while shes driving and have a beer at a short arms length. LOL So funny how manufactures place so much importance on cup holders. And some cars put them in better locations than others.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts