Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a back halfed car that is running mid to low 9's in the 1/4. i set my suspension up and is working decent. my ? is what is a good referance point to plum off of in the front of the cassis to get an accurate measurement on the cross square?? the car drives staight except out the gate. it seems to drive a little harder on the pass. side for
the first 60' i have adjusted the problem out 98% but know the car has alot of preload on the pass. side. it sits about 1 1/2 lower than the driver side. and i dont like it. i want to redo the rear and double check square but i figured i would ask to see if anyone has a good ref point to go off of. any help would be great. thanks,Josh

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
Josh,

there are some body stampings just ahead of the crossmember in the frame. When I initially set my car up and tubbed it in 95' I used those to cross square everything.

My car sits exactly how you describe, lower on the driver side because of the pre load. If you scale the car and put you in the driver seat, you will see that the preloaded pass. side is needed.

On launch my car would drive to the right untill I scaled it and set the preload, then it would go straight and consistant.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
what specs did you use for the preload. i know its needed on the pass side for drive line torque but how much? or did you just even the load out equaly in the rear? when i scaled it it was with in 30 lbs from one side to the other with me in the car so we figured it was close enough. they say with in 50lbs should be adequete. not sure if this is true. thanks again Josh.

·
Vendor
4,056 Posts
I have noticed that if the car is off by 100lbs that it would pull hard. I always try for zero difference with a buffer of 10lbs. this has always worked good for me. I was like you in the beginning about the rear being level. After a while I broke from that and wanted to be consistant. Now I live with it. If we had 4 links it would be a different story.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts